My research aims to prevent foodborne and related diseases in Canadian and international contexts, and to enhance public health practice both broadly and within environmental health.
To this end, I investigate the burden and risks for these illnesses, and identify and evaluate interventions (including those currently in use, like food handler training). My research applies a systems lens to food-related health outcomes: food and its consumption is a confluence of risks and benefits which impact infectious diseases, chronic conditions, and nutrition, and I explore food safety strategies that account for the multiple health outcomes associated with the production and consumption of food.
My research involves tools that improve the use of evidence in public health decision making, particularly those that allow multiple or competing perspectives. Before joining the School of Public Health and Health Systems (SPHHS), I spent a decade as an epidemiologist with the Government of Canada. There, my work involved extensive knowledge translation, bringing research into Canadian and international public health practice, and creating a wide network of knowledge users, practitioners, and researchers with whom I still collaborate.
I am also an associate editor at Epidemiology & Infection.
Graduate supervision and student opportunities
I am currently accepting applications from graduate students with a strong academic record in epidemiology, and either statistics or qualitative methods and research interests in:
- Environmental health
- Foodborne diseases and food safety
- Systems approaches to food and health
- Knowledge synthesis and public health practice
- Epidemiology, including environmental and infectious disease epidemiology
- Foodborne, waterborne, and enteric diseases
- Burden of illness methods
- Public health practice, including surveillance and outbreak investigations
- PhD (Epidemiology), University of Guelph, 2004
- MSc (Epidemiology), University of Guelph, 1999
- BSc (Bio-medical Science), University of Guelph, 1998
See publications for journal and selected technical reports.