About the award
As a result of on-going international travel suspensions due to COVID-19, additional criteria have been temporarily introduced to the President’s Upper-Year Award program to allow more options for fourth-year undergraduate students to claim an award.
The President’s Experiential Award ($1,500) will provide support for eligible students who take on an experiential learning opportunity during their final undergraduate year.
- You must have received the President’s Scholarship of Distinction in Year One.
- You must have completed Year One with a minimum cumulative average of 80%.
- You must be a current full-time Waterloo student enrolled in your final undergraduate year during spring 2021, fall 2021, or winter 2022.
- An experiential learning opportunity in spring 2021, fall 2021, or winter 2022 (past experiences are not eligible), including:
- An unpaid or underpaid co-op work term experience which may or may not lead to a co-op credit.
- A volunteer work experience.
- A documented entrepreneurial venture or startup.
- A non-academic activity tied to a course where the cost is not covered by the tuition, such as a field trip.
- Experiences not included above may be considered on the basis that the activity will enhance your educational goals (excluding past experiences).
- Academic courses are considered an educational experience, and thus do not qualify as an experiential experience.
- The experience may be undertaken locally, nationally, or abroad (for students already living outside of Canada).
- Experiences must be of sufficient duration or intensity to warrant receipt of the $1,500 award:
- If you are engaged in an experience which is full-time and full-term in duration, you may claim the equivalent of two upper-year awards ($3,000 total) if you have not yet claimed a President’s Upper-Year Award in the past. Otherwise, the award is valued at $1,500 regardless if the experience is full- or part-time.
- Part-time experiences must normally be a minimum of 75 hours over the course of a term.
- Shorter experiences may be considered, where the activity involves a participation fee, such as a field trip.
How to apply
- Apply to claim the award funds by completing this online form.
- You will be asked to provide a letter or other documentation to substantiate the experience. Documentation must include:
- Name and contact details of the individual who is supervising the activity.
- Confirmation of your involvement in the activity.
- Time commitment.
Award Application Deadlines
- June 1, for experiences undertaken in spring 2021
- October 1, for experiences undertaken in fall 2021
- February 1, for experiences undertaken in winter 2022
- The award will be paid through your Waterloo student account on Quest following the application deadline. All submissions are subject to verification. Awards may be adjusted if you fail to complete the experience.
Contact Student Awards and Financial Aid if you have questions about specific award requirements, completing the form, or award decisions.