Our Changing Planet: from Knowledge to Action
Geography as a discipline: finding practical solutions and managing complex environmental problems. As a globally respected discipline, Geography provides us with the perspective and tools to respond to challenges facing society. At its core, Geography provides practical solutions to issues at local to global scales with a special emphasis on geographical context. Geography bridges the social sciences (human geography), environmental information technologies (geomatics), and the natural sciences (physical geography) in finding sustainable solutions to manage the problems that impact our planet. Whether it is understanding and managing the impacts of climate change, applying geospatial technologies to solve environmental problems, or devising novel sustainable approaches to the management of human or natural environmental systems, at Waterloo, Geography and Environmental Management (GEM) does all of this.
Geography as an undergraduate subject of study: we offer undergraduate programs that provide a strong education in the theoretical and applied aspects of geography and environmental management. Our three honours Bachelor of Environmental Studies (BES) undergraduate plans are:
- Geography and Environmental Management (BES): students specialise in key areas or maintain a broader geography perspective;
- Geography and Aviation (BES): students train as a commercial pilot and receive a Geography degree that encourages environmental sustainability in the aviation sector;
- Geomatics (BES): students develop theoretical and applied skills in how geographical information technologies can help solve environmental issues.
Geography as an graduate subject of research: we offer graduate programs that provide a strong research training in aspects of geography:
- Geography (MES, MA, MSc): research thesis track;
- Climate Change (MCC): research paper track;
- Graduate Diploma in Climate Risk Management;
- PhD in Geography.
If you are interested in studies and research that offer innovative hands-on experiential training, quantitative and qualitative skills development, and an integrative perspective needed to tackle the toughest environmental and sustainability challenges, you have come to the right place.