The Master of Climate Change (MCC) program provides an interdisciplinary academic environment with the goal of developing graduates who understand the socio-political, technological and institutional complexities associated with the transition to a low carbon economy and climate resilient adaptation. It prepares graduates for ethical, innovative and effective professional practice in diverse careers related to climate change in government, civil society, business and local/international development.
MCC students are expected to have achieved the following learning outcomes:
- Achieve a systematic understanding of knowledge and critical awareness of evolving problems related to climate change.
- Demonstrate a conceptual understanding and methodological competence that enables the critical interpret of current research and application of research techniques to complex research and policy issues related to climate change.
- Demonstrate competence in the application of an existing body of knowledge to a new research problem that advances knowledge related to climate change.
- Demonstrate professional capacity and autonomy, through ethical behavior consistent with academic integrity and research guidelines, personal initiative, responsibility, and sound decision-making in diverse academic and professional situations.
- Demonstrate effective communication of ideas, results and conclusions in visual, written and oral forms.
- Be cognizant of the complexity and limitations of knowledge related to climate change.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the intellectual, social, cultural and political diversity of the world in which we live and its important implications for climate change research and policy.
International workforce needs assessments have concluded that there will be an increasing demand for educated and highly skilled employees in several sectors and professions.
Potential career opportunities:
- Climate Change Researcher
- Energy Researcher
- Climate Change Analyst
- Climate Change Officer
- Environmental and Sustainability Coordinator
- Research and Development Assistant
Other potential career opportunities can be found at International Institute for Sustainable Development’s climate change career portal.