Jean’s research is concerned with the implications of climate change for transportation infrastructure and operations, and is highly regarded as a teacher and mentor to undergraduate and graduate students alike.
Room EV1-349 | Ext. 32884 | email email@example.com
F2016 Office hours: N/A
Key Areas of Graduate Supervision
weather and society, hazards, climate change impacts and adaptation, transportation planning, road safety
Recent Courses Taught
GEOG 100: On Becoming a Geographer
GEOG 222: Geographical Study of Canada
GEOG 351: Geography of Transportation
ENVS 178: Introduction to Environmental Research Methods
My research program focuses on weather and society, especially on weather hazards, climate change impacts and adaptations, and weather-transport interactions. Some of the questions that I address include: How does weather, in combination with other variables, affect road safety in Canada? Are societal responses to weather hazards appropriate? What are the implications of climate variability and change for transportation planning and safety? What types of winter weather indices are relevant to decision making? The core of my research focuses on risk estimation and vulnerability assessment. Over time, I have begun to focus more on sustainability issues and on the challenge of creating transportation systems, and indeed cities, that are both safe and environmentally sustainable.
- Fletcher, C.G., Matthews, L., Andrey, J., Saunders, A. 2015. Projected changes in mid-21st century extreme maximum pavement temperature in Canada. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JAMC-D-15-0232.1
- Abulibdeh, A., Andrey, J., Melnik, M. 2015. Insights into the fairness of cordon pricing based on origin-destination data. Journal of Transport Geography 49:61-67.
- Simpson, H., de Loe, R., Andrey, J., 2015. Vernacular knowledge and water management: toward the integration of expert science and local knowledge in Ontario, Canada. Water Alternatives 8(3): 352-372.
- Picketts, I.M., Andrey, J., Matthews, L., Dery, S.J., Tighe, S. 2015. Climate change adaptation strategies for transportation infrastructure in Prince George, Canada. Regional Environmental Change 1-12.
- Rutty, M., Andrey, J. 2014. Weather forecast use for winter recreation. Weather, Climate and Society. Weather, Climate and Society doi:10.1175/WCAS-D-13-00052.1, 6: 293-306.
- Silver, A., Andrey, J. 2014. The influence of previous disaster experience and socio-demographics on protective behaviors during two successive tornado events. Weather, Climate and Society 6:91-103.
- Hoika, C., Parker, P., Andrey, J. 2014. Residential energy efficiency retrofits: how program design affects participation and outcomes. Energy Policy 65:594-607.