Studying German at the University of Waterloo
- Students in our department gain a deep understanding of the languages, as well as the history, cultural traditions, ideas, and accomplishments of the German-speaking areas of central Europe.
- We offer courses in German language, culture, film, literature, linguistics, and business German.
- The average class size in our department is fewer than 15 students. Studying language and literature is most effective in small groups where professors and students have lots of opportunity to interact.
- Students can earn a Minor, General, Honours, and Joint Honours B.A. in German. In addition, our department offers a number of interdisciplinary opportunities. Students in German are encouraged to select electives from such fields as Applied Language Studies, Dutch, English, Fine Arts, History, Music, Political Science, and Religious Studies. And students can also earn a Certificate in German Language if they complete any four German language courses, with the exclusion of courses taught in English, and obtain a cumulative average of 70%.
Studying Russian at the University of Waterloo
- We offer courses in Russian language as well as the culture of Russia and Eastern Europe.
- You can earn a Minor in Russian in Russian and East European Studies. This academic plan offers students an opportunity to select electives from History and Political Science.
- We also offer a Certificate in Russian Language.
Croatian and Dutch at the University of Waterloo
- The department offers elementary and intermediate courses in Croatian as well as courses in Croatian culture. Students can earn a Certificate in Croatian Language.
- The department offers elementary and intermediate courses in Dutch. Students can earn a Certificate in Croatian Language.