This site provides information for Graduate Students at the University of Waterloo. If you are an Undergraduate Student please visit the FEDS, or visit the studentcare office in the Health Services Building, room 1006.
Graduate students registered in full-time or part-time "regular" calssified programs are automatically included in the Health and Dental Plans and fees are included as part of the "GSA Administered Fees".
Graduate students enrolled in a program classified as "on line or distance education" are not eligible for the Health & Dental Plans. "GSA Administered Fees" ancillary fees are not applied to their financial statements.
The student supplementary Health & Dental Plans are designed to provide important services that are in addition to the basic provincial health-care plan. Students must have OHIP, other provincial Health Insurance Plan, or UHIP to be eligible to use the extended health coverage provided through the student supplementary health and dental plans.
The supplementary student health plans cover:
- prescription drugs,
- dental care,
- eye exams and eyeglasses,
- out of country travel coverage, and
- alternative medical services, such as massage, chiropractic, physio-therapy, counselling, and much more.
The student plans can be combined with other health and dental plans (i.e. a parent or spouse’s employee benefit plan) to maximize overall coverage and save on health-care costs.
- Students may opt out of the FEDS/GSA Health Plan by submitting proof of coverage from another extended plan. (Addition to OHIP, another provincial health-care coverage, or UHIP).
- Students may opt out of the Dental Plan and receive reimbursement for the dental portion of the plan without submitting proof of equivalent dental coverage.
- Opt outs and enrolments are effective for the entire policy year. (September - August) If a student opts out, they will still be assessed the plan fee in subsequent Academic Terms, but will automatically receive a reimbursement for each Term that they are assessed the Health & Dental Plan fee for the policy year.
If you have any other questions as a graduate student, please contact Rose Vogt at firstname.lastname@example.org.