Stop stalling. Start writing.
Dissertation Boot Camp is designed to help dissertation writers get a jump start on meeting their writing goals.
The December 2018 iteration of Dissertation Boot Camp will be hosted online. This intensive program runs Monday, December 10 to Thursday, December 13 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Our next in-person, intensive Dissertation Boot Camp will take place in April 2019.
Sustained Dissertation Boot Camps require participants to meet for half a day each week for eight weeks. These will be offered from January to March, 2019 and June to July, 2019.
Rules of participation
PhD and masters students are welcomed to apply.
Please note that Engineering students writing their dissertation proposals are invited to apply.
The Dissertation Boot Camp program combines dedicated writing time, goal setting and writing strategy sessions, and one-on-one meetings with our writing specialists.
Dissertation Boot Camp has strict parameters for participation. Before applying, please think ahead to the week of the camp and decide whether you can meet the following expectations:
- Come to Boot Camp prepared to write.
- Participate in short, skill-building workshops. Some workshops and writing time during the online Boot Camp will take place synchronously; others will be asynchronous. You will need to be available at specific times throughout the week to participate in workshops and peer review sessions, but may choose to complete your daily writing sessions at a time that suits you.
- If you have lab responsibilities, you will need to find lab coverage in order to make time to write.
- Follow the guidelines provided by staff and/or the group. For example, we may ask you to shut off your internet access during writing sessions.
- You should set concrete goals for the program. We recommend that you meet with your supervisor to discuss your goals.
- Gather all of the materials you will need to write productively (articles, data, previous drafts with comments, research notes, etc.).
Space is limited!
You must be already writing or ready to begin.
Participants will be selected based on their applications. Those applicants who are not selected will be added to a waiting list in case there are cancellations.
Application for Dissertation Boot Camp
Applications to participate in the Online Dissertation Boot Camp in December are now available. Please use the Google form to apply by November 1, 2018.