External awards are offered by federal and provincial scholarship agencies, foundations or private companies who rely on Waterloo to adjudicate competitions and manage payment of awards. At Waterloo, we encourage our top graduate students to apply for external awards including those from Canada’s three major research granting agencies and Ontario's major scholarships programs.
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) and Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science & Technology (QEII-GSST)
Other prestigious external scholarships
Application procedures vary. It is the responsibility of the applicant to check our external awards web pages above, as well as the agency specific websites for complete details on eligibility, application and applications instructions.
Effective September 1, 2016, the Tri-Agencies (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) have harmonized their post-award policies for award holders of research training programs. Please see the official website for the updated Award Holder's Guide.
Graduate students who choose to study at Waterloo and are successful in the major competitions listed above will also receive the President's Graduate Scholarship.
Other external resources
- The Universities Canada web site contains useful tips and tools for international students planning to study in Canada, as well as a searchable database for scholarship programs for all students pursuing post secondary education.
- The Government of Canada International Scholarship Program web site lists Canadian scholarship programs for non-Canadians wishing to study and conduct research in Canada.
- The Scholarships Canada database is an extensive database to find scholarships, bursaries and grants. You'll also find information about student loans, applications and budget planning.