Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA) is excited to host the 6th annual 3 Minute Thesis Competition! As a resource to competitors the Writing and Communication Centre will be offering 3MT coaching sessions which will include:
Part 1) A panel discussion of experts and former competitors on January 18, including:
- a discussion on the structure of the competition (heats, finals, prizes, etc.), general rules and tips
- tips for communicating to non-academic audience
- two previous competitors will discuss the value of competing; tips for practicing; ideas to get you started; and staying encourage/motivated; addressing nervousness; what they did to prepare etc.
Part 2) A "3MT Bootcamp" held over two breakout sessions: January 18 & 25 (if you sign up for this option you must commit to both days):
- the first workshop will consist of a discussion about the value of 3MT, features of effective presentations, and PowerPoint design.
- after completing a take-home assignment, the second workshop will offer an overview of editing practices. It will also allow participants to receive peer feedback on their drafts and make revisions in a supportive and collaborative environment.
Breakout workshops will be facilitated by Writing and Multimodal Communication Specialists from the Writing and Communication Centre. Please bring your laptops, any draft versions of your slide or script, and be prepared to think, discuss, and write!
Register today, spaces limited.