Individual residence invoices (showing scholarships and other deductions) are sent to each student well in advance of each term's payment deadline. If you are unable to make the full payment by the deadline, please contact Grebel's finance office to discuss your payment plan.
For planning purposes, familiarize yourself with the residence fees, deadlines and payment procedures as laid out below:
Income Tax information
Residence fees cannot be claimed as rent for income tax purposes. Under the Income Tax Act, universities are exempt from paying municipal property taxes. For income tax purposes the Grebel Apartments are “student residences”.
The Ontario Income Tax Act stipulates that all students living in designated university (tax-exempted) student residences are limited to an Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit claim based on an occupancy cost of $25 for the time they resided in the student residence. Therefore, the amount that can be claimed for income tax purposes is $25 and not the full amount of residence fees paid. On Line 6114 (Student Residences) of your income tax return, tick the box to claim $25 as your occupancy cost for the part of the year you lived in residence.
We do not issue a tax receipt for residence fees or meal plan payments.
For more information and to view the list of designated student residences, please visit the Ontario Ministry of Finance website and review the “Frequently Asked Questions” section.
2020/2021 Residence fees
|Length of residence||Fee|
Student Council fees per term
|Basic Student Council fee||$40.00|
|Student Building Fund fee||$15.00|
|Support for refugee student||$20.00|
|Yearbook (only pay once per year)||$37.00|
|Athletic fee (unused amounts refunded)||$70.00|
Optional fees per term
|Car permit (subject ot change)||$160.00|
|Bike key ($5.00 deducted per term - remainder refunded)||$30.00|
|Hockey storage key ($5.00 deducted per term - remainder refunded)||$30.00|
|Fall 2020||August 7, 2020|
|Winter 2021||December 4, 2020|
|Spring 2021||April 9, 2021|
How to make a payment
Payment for Resident, OCR, Apartment Dweller or Off-Campus Associate fees
for Conrad Grebel University College may be made as follows:
(Note - Tuition payments need to be directed to the University of Waterloo, not Conrad Grebel.)
PAYING VIA BANK PAYMENT (ONLINE, TELEPHONE OR AT YOUR BANK)
- To pay your fees at a Canadian bank or via online or telephone banking, you are going to pay Conrad Grebel University College as a “bill payment” and use your uWaterloo student number as the “account number”. Please be very sure that you are using the correct student number.Bank payments take 2 - 4 days to be processed by the bank.
PAYING VIA CHEQUE, MONEY ORDER OR BANK DRAFT (from a North American bank only)
- You can pay your student account fees by cheque, money order or bank draft payable to Conrad Grebel University College, provided it is drawn on a North American bank. Conrad Grebel University College can only accept bank drafts from Canada or the US. Please include your student number and name on the cheque/money order/bank draft.
- You can send or drop off to your payment here:
Conrad Grebel University College
140 Westmount Road North
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G6 Canada
- If you're making your payment from a bank account outside of Canada, you may send your payment by international wire transfer. Contact Sara Cressman for instructions. Please forward a scanned copy of your wire advice to assist us in identifying your payment when it arrives.
- Conrad Grebel University College can't accept payment of student fees by e-mail Interac transfer, in person debit card, or credit card transaction.