The University of Waterloo houses a number of research groups related to health informatics:
- Computational Health Informatics Lab studies computational mechanisms for enabling more efficient and easy-to-use healthcare delivery, and large-scale data analytics problems in healthcare.
- Geriatric Health Systems Group specializes in the use of information systems to optimize the care of older persons.
- Health Data Science Lab focuses on applying data science, machine learning, predictive analytics, statistics, data visualization, mobile and wearable technologies, and big data analytics to challenges in various areas of health.
- The interRAI Canada research group is a research, education and knowledge exchange cluster based at the School of Public Health Sciences, University of Waterloo, with a focus on promoting innovations in data, evidence, and application systems for the health and social service sectors.
- Human-Computer Interaction and Health Lab focuses on how we can better enable people to interpret and interact with data, using theoretical perspectives and research methodologies from the fields of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), information visualization, and Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW).
- The UbiLab designs, develops, and evaluates technology that can be used with minimal burden to the user, with maximum reliability, and outstanding user experience.