You are here

Student medical insurance on campus

Uninsured services

Some of the services we provide are uninsured services and are not covered by UHIP, OHIP, or other provincial plans. Please refer to the list of uninsured services for information and fees associated with various medical services.

Student health and dental plan

For information regarding the Health & Dental plan (formerly called the Student Supplementary Health Insurance Plan or SSHIP) please visit or call 1-866-369-8794. The plan provides extended health care coverage for important services not covered by your basic health plan, such as prescription drugs, vision care, dental care, travel health coverage, and more. The Health & Dental Plan office is located in Health Services, room 1006. 

Health Services accepts all provincial health plans, for example the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), and the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for international students for most physician visits.

Student medical insurance coverage on co-op outside of Canada

If you are an insured Ontario resident with a valid Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) health card you are entitled to certain benefits when outside of Canada; however, since coverage for out-of-country health care services is limited, you should consider purchasing supplementary insurance.

Full-time undergraduate students who are enrolled in 1.5 on-campus credits and co-op students on an officially recognized work term are automatically enrolled in the FEDS/GSA Health and Dental Plan which offers international coverage for 150 days per trip.

For more information on staying insured while working abroad, please visit the co-operative education website


Every Ontario resident with a primary home in Ontario is entitled to access emergency and preventative care under OHIP free of charge. 

If you have applied for Permanent Resident status in Canada and have received your "Approval in Principle" letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada, you may be eligible for OHIP coverage.

Please see the OHIP website to determine your eligibility. 

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

UHIP coverage is compulsory for every student not covered by a Canadian provincial health plan (eg. OHIP)

International undergraduate students will be automatically charged for coverage under the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for the first time once they have enrolled in more than two .5-credit on-campus courses. Continuous coverage must be maintained throughout your academic career at the University unless/until you can provide proof of having obtained OHIP coverage.

Graduate students are charged the UHIP fee during every term, including Inactive terms, to ensure continuous coverage for the duration of your program.

For more information, as well as expected charges for UHIP coverage, please visit the finance website. To enrol in UHIP, please visit the Student Accounts office.

Emergency Info

  • In crisis?
  • Feeling unsafe?
  • Worried you might hurt yourself or others?

In Waterloo Region?

Away from campus?

  • contact someone you trust
  • go to the nearest hospital or safe place
  • call a local help line
  • contact us and we'll try to find local supports to help you 

Student Medical Clinic

Adter Hours Clinic

Student Medical Insurance

Family Health Clinic

Travel Clinic