The winners of the 2017 HeForShe writing contest have been selected, and their work published in a special anthology presented in support of the HeForShe 10x10x10 IMPACT framework.
President and vice-chancellor Feridun Hamdullahpur made the announcement at the International Women's Day dinner at Federation Hall on Friday, March 3.
The contest had a successful turn out with 65 entries from Waterloo students, faculty, staff, and alumni. A panel of judges reviewed each entry to select the winners and another 18 pieces for an anthology presented by the Book Store and the Writing Centre.
The HeForShe Writing Contest anthology, Equity In/Action, will be available for free at the Book Store and at other locations across campus beginning the week of March 27.
Winners in each category:
- Creative Non-Fiction: Michelle Presse of the Office of Research, with an untitled entry.
- Poetry (co-winners):
- an anonymous, untitled entry,
- a poem by Sarasvathi Kannan, a Waterloo alumna, entitled "The Sword and the Pen."
- a poem by Emily Schroeder, a staff member in the Secretariat Office
- Fiction: Jessica Needham, a Waterloo alumna, with an untitled short story.
A special thank to everyone who entered, and to our panel of judges for lending their time and expertise.
For more information, read the full announcement in the March 8 edition of the Daily Bulletin.