How to hire a co-op student
Posting a job with us is free, and our support staff can help you along the way. Once you know when you want to hire, simply follow the steps below to find the right student.
Visit waterlooworks.uwaterloo.ca to set up your password and explore your dashboard
- Your email address is your login ID
- The password can be easily reset if you forget it
- As soon as you log in, you'll land on your dashboard - on the right, you'll see your service team
- Connect with CEE using the 'Send A Message' button at the top of the dashboard
- For more details on how to "Set Up" your account check out our WaterlooWorks help page.
Click 'Post A Job' right in the center of your dashboard to submit a job description to attract top Waterloo students
- Provide as much detail as possible - students now have enhanced search functionality that allows them to be very specific in their criteria
- Students will see a Google Map with the position location. Make sure the address on the posting accurately reflects where the student will be working
- The 'Compensation & Benefits' field can be used to highlight key perks of the position, like salary, travel, training/development opportunities, or social events
- At the same time that you post your job, reserve your interview date and time as rooms fill up quickly at Waterloo
- Enter 'Employment Details' that matched students should be aware of, like where to report on their first day or specific contract information
- For more details on how to "Post" your job listing check out our WaterlooWorks help page.
Before long, you'll receive an email letting you know you have application packages ready for review
- Click the 'Jobs' tab on your dashboard to view applications for any expired jobs
- Use the sort/filter functionality to help you create your shortlist
- Once you have your shortlist of résumés, create an application bundle for a more detailed review and send it as a PDF (use the blue 'Applications Options' button on the job posting)
- Choose your interviewees using the 'Selected for Interview' drop-down option, then 'Request an Interview Schedule' under the blue 'Interview Options' button on the job posting
- Create your interview schedule or contact us for assistance. Choose your preferred method for interviewing. You may do in-person interviews which are individual or groups. You may also choose remote interviews over the telephone, video or skype.
- For more details on how to "Interview" for the role check out our WaterlooWorks help page.
After your interviews, rank a #1 candidate for each opening you have and rank all candidates you'd be willing to hire
- Click the 'Rank and Match' message on your dashboard
- Maximize your match opportunities by ranking all, or as many of the students you'd be willing to hire as second-place choices
- Any value may create a job match, so only rank students you'd be willing to employ
- Students appreciate your feedback - use the comment box to directly message students you interviewed to encourage them to join your team, offer additional details or provide constructive feedback
- Once per term, students can choose not to rank a job they've been ranked for - if this happens, we'll share that information with you
- For more details on how to "Rank and Match" students check out our WaterlooWorks help page.
- Be prepared to discuss work hours, dress code and where they should report on the first day
- You can get employment confirmation letters and applicable tax receipts from the job posting or your students work-term record
- For more details on "Employment Agreement" check out our WaterlooWorks help page.
CEE will continue to support you, and your employed students, on the work term
- If you're not the person we should be connecting with, go to the 'My Hires' tab and change the employer contact name on the student's work-term record so we know which supervisor to communicate with for each student
- We'll reach out mid-way through the term with an employer eCheckIn and again at the end with a request to complete the student's performance evaluation - both will be sent via email and you won't need to log in to complete them; additionally, the email can be easily passed along to the correct person if needed
- For more details on the "Work Term" check out our WaterlooWorks help page.
Thanks for Hiring Waterloo! We welcome your feedback - fill out the survey found on your WaterlooWorks dashboard
If you have any questions at any time, please contact us:
- Phone: 1-877-928-4473
- Email: email@example.com