Interest in a University of Waterloo study abroad trip to Berlin in the spring of 2016? Join Professor Gary Bruce to explore and learn in this fascinating city.
I am excited to undertake this journey with you, a trip that will take us to one of the most dynamic cities in Europe and to a place that is ridden with history. Berlin is no ordinary city, something that JFK noted in that moving speech from 1963: “All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin, and, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words "Ich bin ein Berliner!"
April 27- May 8, 2016
$2,500. This covers return airfare from Toronto to Berlin, 10 nights accommodation, ground transportation in Berlin, the excursion to Ravensbruck concentration camp, all entry fees, a soccer game at Berlin’s Olympic Stadium, and a day trip to Leipzig. It does not cover the cost of food, but we will be staying in a hotel with kitchenettes which will allow students to keep food costs low.
We will be staying in a stately four-star hotel in the centre of Berlin. There will be two students to a room, and each room is equipped with a small kitchenette.
This trip can be taken as a 3rd year History independent reading course (HIST 397) or as a 4th year History seminar (HIST 491). Please note that the trip cost does not cover tuition.
- 27 April Depart Toronto for Berlin
- 28 April Arrive Berlin by early afternoon. Settle in and evening walk around our neighbourhood
- 29 April Walking tour of East and West Berlin. End at the Memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe
- 30 April Day trip to Leipzig. Tour of Europe’s largest monument, historical panorama of Battle of 1813, and discussion with participant in 1989 revolution.
- 1 May Visit to former concentration camp at Sachsenhausen, the ‘model’ camp established by the Nazis in 1936.
- 2 May Walking tour of old Jewish quarter in Berlin, including synagogue, old Jewish cemetery, and museum of Otto Weidt, who hid Jews during the Nazi period
- 3 May Visit to Haus der Wannsee Konferenz, German Resistance Memorial, and former Gestapo HQ.
- 4 May Excursion to Ravensbrück, the former Nazi concentration camp for female inmates, which was staffed by female guards. Guest speaker: Former East German secret police officer
- 5 May Behind-the-scenes tour of Stasi Archive and visit to Memory Project in the Bavarian Quarter of Berlin
- 6 May Free Day
- 7 May Tour of Olympic Stadium and soccer game.
- 8 May Depart Berlin for Toronto
1) A non-refundable deposit of $500 is required by 8 January 2016. (The deposit will be refunded should the trip not take place for any reason). To secure a spot, it is advisable to submit the deposit in advance of the deadline.
2) The remaining $2,000 is due by 1 March, 2016.
3) Please note that cancellations less than a month before the trip begins will result in a forfeit of the entire amount of the trip, as the vast majority of the costs will have already been covered by then. You will have the option of purchasing insurance in the event that a health issue or other serious life issue prevents you from going.