Waterloo Residences is now the official housing partner of the University of Waterloo Department of Athletics and Recreation.
Through a variety of initiatives, this partnership focuses on building stronger on-campus partnerships, promoting healthy living, as well as increased awareness of on-campus living and its benefits for upper year students.
Ultimate Residence Warrior Challenge: Move. Play. Succeed.
Are you the Ultimate Residence Warrior?
Starting February 5 until March 9, complete up to 6 challenges for your chance to win over $1,500 in prizing!
- 2 x $500 travel voucher
- 2 x Fitbit
- 1 x Personal Training 5-session Pack
- 1 x $150 in Intramural Credit
- 3 x Free Shoe tags for Spring 2018 or Fall 2018
- 1 x Warrior Swag Bag
- Other Warrior-branded prizes
- Show us how you move in residence. Record a video of you exercising or being physically active in residence.
- Pick up an Open Rec game. Swim, skate, play badminton, basketball, or volleyball. Open Rec is open for business. Visit warriors.uwaterloo.ca for a schedule.
- Join an “In-Residence Fitness Class”. Hosted in the Great Halls of Village 1 and Claudette Millar Hall.
- Zumba in the CMH Great Hall on February 12 from 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- De-Stress Yoga in the Village 1 Great Hall on February 14 from 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Muay Thai in CMH Great Hall on February 26 from 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Zumba in the Village 1 Great Hall on February 21 from 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Go Black. Go Gold. Snap a picture. Show your Warrior spirit wearing Black and Gold in class on a Black and Gold Friday.
- Show us your Warrior Habit. Show us how you incorporate Warrior Habits into your life. Warrior Habits include:
- Goal Setting
- The Stress Response
- Self Compassion
- Spend time in Nature
- Eat a protein at every meal
- Strength train twice a week
- Eat a Vegetable at Every Meal
- Perform Cardio training twice per week
- Time Management Skills
- Learn Portion Sizes
- Sleep is Key
- Eat breakfast every morning
- Drink two litres of water on a daily basis
- Physical Activity
- Attend a Warriors varsity game. Cheer a Warriors home game between February 7 and February 11 or a attend play-off game (entrance fee applies).
- Feb 7 Men’s Hockey vs. Laurier @ 7:15pm at Kitchener Auditorium- Tickets $5.00 or $10.00 for student package (Includes: Ticket, Bang Sticks, Battle of Waterloo T-Shirt) Shuttles leaving from DC and CIF at 6pm are included in ticket price. Find more details here
- Feb 9 Women’s Basketball vs. Guelph @ 6pm in PAC- FREE
- Feb 9 Men’s Basketball vs. Guelph in PAC @ 8pm- FREE
- Feb 10 Women’s Volleyball vs. Toronto in PAC @ 2pm- FREE
- Feb 10 Men’s Volleyball vs. Toronto in PAC @ 4pm- FREE
- Feb 11 Women’s Volleyball vs. Trent 12pm in PAC @ 12pm- FREE**Residence Day
- Feb 11 Men’s Volleyball vs. Trent 2pm in PAC @ 2pm- FREE** Residence Day
How to Enter
- Record a video or snap a picture of yourself completing each challenge. **Challenge 1 is mandatory for other entries to be valid.
- Post your submissions to your Instagram account between February 5, 2018 and March 9, 2018 by 11:59 p.m.
- Use the hashtag #UWRezWarrior and tag @UWHousing and @WlooRec
- Within the caption, indicate the challenge number.
- Ensure your Instagram profile is public.
- Watch your feed for prize draws on March 12
- Bonus prize: Complete 3 challenges, including Challenge 1, and automatically win Warrior branded swag (while supplies last)!
The Ultimate Residence Warrior Challenge, (“The Contest”) is only open to Winter 2018 residents living in Village 1, Ron Eydt Village, Mackenzie King Village, UW Place, Claudette Millar Hall, Columbia Lake Village - South or North, and Minota Hagey. The Contest is only open to legal residents of Canada, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Waterloo Residences, the Department of Athletics and Recreation, student staff, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the contest. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
Agreement to Rules:
By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of Waterloo Residences and the Department of Athletics and Recreation as final and binding as it relates to the content of The Contest.
Entries will be accepted on Instagram starting Monday February 5, 2018 at 8:30 a.m. and ending on Friday March 9, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. All entries must be received by March 9, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Enter:
An entry to The Contest can be entered by submitting a post to Instagram for each challenge.
- You must use the hashtag #UWRezWarrior and tag both @uwhousing and @wloorec.
- Within the caption, you must also state the challenge you are posting for (i.e. Challenge 3).
- You must also be following the Waterloo Residences Instagram account (“@uwhousing”) and the Waterloo Recreation Instagram account (“@Wloorec”).
- You must ensure that your Instagram profile is set to “Public” for the duration of The Contest Period and 5 days after for your entry to be considered.
- You must complete Challenge 1 to eligible to win any prizing.
The entry must fulfill all Contest requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of Waterloo Residences and the Department of Athletics and Recreation. You may only enter 1 post (picture or video) per challenge for consideration. Pictures and videos that are submitted, must correspond with the challenge number You are completing, and must be recent (taken between the dates of February 5, 2018 and March 9, 2018). You may not enter more than once by using multiple Instagram accounts in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of Waterloo Residences and the Department of Athletics and Recreation.
The Winners of The Contest (the “Winners”) will receive one (1) of the following prizes based on the draw they are entered into, as explained in the Winner Selection and Notification section.
The available prizes are:
- $500 travel voucher (2 available)
- Fitbit (2 available)
- Personal Training 5-Session Pack (1 available)
- $150 in Intramural Credits (1 available)
- Free Shoe tag for Spring 2018 or Fall 2018 (3 available)
- Warrior Swag Bag (1 available)
- Other Warrior-branded prizes (while supplies last)
Actual / appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by Waterloo Residences and the Department of Athletics and Recreation. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at Waterloo Residence’s or the Department of Athletics and Recreation’s discretion. The prize is non-transferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, provincial, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of the Winners. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by the Winners is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission of Waterloo Residences and the Department of Athletics and Recreation to use the Winners’ names, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
Winner Selection and Notification:
At the end of the Contest Period, 3 draws will be performed:
Draw One: Contestants who complete all 6 challenges and submit a valid entry for each challenge will be entered into a draw to win One (1) $500 Merit Travel Voucher or One (1) Fitbit. A total of 4 people will be drawn.
Draw Two: Contestants who complete 5 different challenges and submit a valid entry for each challenge will be entered into a draw to win One (1) Personal Training 5-Session Pack or One (1) $150 in Intramural Credits. A total of 2 people will be drawn.
Draw Three: Contestants who complete 4 different challenges and submit a valid entry for each challenge will be entered into a draw to win One (1) Shoe Tag or One (1) Warrior Swag Bag. A total of 4 people will be drawn.
Contestants who complete 3 different challenges automatically receive a Warrior Hand Out while supplies last.
Contestants are only eligible to win One (1) draw. If a contestant wins a draw, their name will be removed from all other draws.
If there are more prizes available than eligible contestants in a draw, each contestant will be drawn a prize with the remaining prize(s) not being awarded.
Winners will be notified by Instagram Direct Message on March 12, 2018. Winners will be required to complete a University of Waterloo Gift Reporting Form.
Waterloo Residences shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, or other security settings or for Winners’ provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the Winners cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within five (5) days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and another Winner(s) selected. Receipt by the Winners of the prize offered in The Contest is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, provincial, and local laws and regulations. Any violation of these official rules by the Winners (At Waterloo Residences’ or the Department of Athletics and Recreation's sole discretion) will result in the Winner’s disqualification as Winner of The Contest, and all privileges as Winner will be immediately terminated.
Rights Granted by You:
By entering this content (photos on Instagram), You understand and agree that Waterloo Residences, the Department of Athletics and Recreation, anyone acting on behalf of Waterloo Residences or the Department of Athletics and Recreation, and Waterloo Residences’ and the Department of Athletics and Recreation licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and through the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about The Contest, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. By entering The Contest, You represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of Waterloo Residences or the Department of Athletics and Recreation. If the content of your entry is deemed inappropriate, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of Waterloo Residences or Department of Athletics and Recreation. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Waterloo Residences and the Department of Athletics and Recreation from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs, or expense, which Waterloo Residences or the Department of Athletics and Recreation may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
Terms and Conditions:
Waterloo Residences and the Department of Athletics and Recreation reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend The Contest should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond Waterloo Residences’ or the Department of Athletics and Recreation's control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of The Contest. In such case, Waterloo Residences or the Department of Athletics and Recreation may select the Winners from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Waterloo Residences or the Department of Athletics and Recreation. Waterloo Residences and the Department of Athletics and Recreation reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of The Contest or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. Waterloo Residences and the Department of Athletics and Recreation has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of The Contest, to void “Likes” for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of The Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, Waterloo Residences and the Department of Athletics and Recreation reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Limitation of Liability:
By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless Waterloo Residences, the Department of Athletics and Recreation, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in The Contest and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, smartphone, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or The Contest; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of The Contest or the processing of entries.
The Contest IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF Canada AND Ontario, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in The Contest, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with The Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Ontario having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering The Contest). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
The Sponsors of The Contest are Waterloo Residences and the Department of Athletics and Recreation.
The Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with, Instagram.
Waterloo Residences Athletic Leadership Awards
Two awards, valued at $2,500, are given to a student-athlete on any men’s varsity team and a student-athlete on any women’s varsity team, who currently live in Waterloo Residences. These awards recognize strong athletic talent and a commitment to community services and leadership within Warriors Athletics & Recreation and the broader University of Waterloo community. This fund is supported by Waterloo Housing and Residences.
Eligibility & Selection
- Candidates must be student-athletes on any men’s or women’s varsity team and must currently live in Waterloo Residences.
- All Athletic Financial Awards must comply with the awards policies of Ontario University Athletics (OUA) and U Sports as determined on an annual basis.
- No application required by student athletes
- Candidates will be identified by the Department of Athletics and Recreation and selection will be made by them in consultation with the Student Awards and Financial Aid Office
- Selection is based on strong athletic talent and a commitment to community services and leadership within Warriors Athletics & Recreation and the broader University of Waterloo community.
The award will be administered in accordance with the above terms and conditions, as well as the UW Policy on Undergraduate/Graduate Student Awards as amended from time to time.