- We support student initiatives to compost, recycle printer cartridges and household batteries, and to collect food, clothing and textbooks for donation.
- Housing participates in the Sustainability Engagement and Operations Working groups on campus.
- Our Cleaning Services staff work to ensure we are supporting environmental initiatives around residence, and separate recyclables to ensure they are ready for pick-up.
- The paper towels we use in residence are 100% recycled post consumer and are chlorine free.
- 100% of our day-to-day, regular cleaning operations use phosphate-free and biodegradable products.
Energy conservation and future goals
- We are actively transition to energy efficient LED lighting, and incorporating occupancy/vacancy sensors where appropriate.
- Our New Residence Facility, which is scheduled for occupancy in September 2017, is being built with LEED principles in mind and on average will use 15% less energy than building code requires.
- We are actively reviewing our waste generation and diversion rates and identifying opportunities to improve in this area.
- Housing has made a commitment to participate in the Green Office initiative on campus.
How can you be part of the solution?
- Conserving energy not only helps to keep costs and residence fees down, but it also helps to save our natural resources.
- Here are a few ways in which you can help conserve energy:
- Close windows and blinds to help keep hot air out in the summer, and cold air out in the winter.
- In the winter, turn down the thermostat at night or when you are out. Open any south facing blinds on sunny days, and close them at night. Do the opposite in the summer.
- Put down an area rug or buy some warm slippers. If your feet are cold, your body will feel cold too!
- Turn off lights, TVs, and other devices when they are not in use. Less energy is consumed if items are turned on and off as you come and go than if they are left on all of the time.
- Instead of purchasing plastic water bottles, use one of our bottle filling stations or water coolers to fill a reusable water bottle.
- For more information, or to share your sustainability related ideas, contact the Manager, Facility Renewal and Planning.