Fees & Contracts

All residents must accept their residence contract and terms before moving into their community.

Financial obligations

Undergraduate first-year students

To calculate the total cost, add together the listed fee of your assigned residence, plus the meal plan fee you have selected (if applicable).

  • Residence and meal plan fees will be posted to your Quest account for each term.

  • A meal plan is required for dorm-style residences; Village 1 and Ron Eydt Village. Meal plans are optional for apartment-style residences where cooking facilities are available.

  • Fall term residents are required to sign a 2-term contract (for fall and winter or fall and spring).

  • Spring and/or winter term residents are eligible for 1-term contracts.

Graduate students & Students with dependents

  • Residence fees are calculated per term or on a monthly basis, depending on your residence community contract.

Income tax information

Residence fees cannot be claimed as rent for income tax purposes. Under the Income Tax Act, universities are exempt from paying municipal property taxes. 

The Ontario Income Tax Act stipulates that all students living in designated university (tax-exempted) student residences are limited to an Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit claim based on an occupancy cost of $25 for the time they resided in the student residence. Therefore, the amount that can be claimed for income tax purposes is $25 and not the full amount of residence fees paid. On Line 6114 (Student Residences) of your income tax return, tick the box to claim $25 as your occupancy cost for the part of the year you lived in residence. 

We do not issue a tax receipt for residence fees or meal plan payments.

For more information and to view the list of designated student residences, please visit the Ontario Ministry of Finance website and review the “Frequently Asked Questions” section.

Accept your contract

Residence contracts are sent via email to your @UWaterloo account.

Payment methods

Accepted forms of payment

  • Credit card

  • Visa/Debit hybrid card*

  • INTERAC® Online

  • Certified cheque or money order

*Please select 'credit card' for Visa/Debit when playing online.