We can't believe how fast time goes! Time to get ready for a new term. We apologize for any move-out inconveniences as we prepare Waterloo Residences for the next term ahead.
You will receive an email confirmation from Waterloo Residences on July 7, 2016 indicating the move-out procedures for your residence community. First-year students are expected to move-out 24-hours after their confirmed move-out date. Good luck with exams! Learn more about requesting an extension of your stay in residence this term.
All upper-year students are eligible to remain in residence until the last possible date. For spring term, the latest move-out date is Sunday, August 14 by 12 p.m. noon. Upper-years are of course able to move-out earlier than this date, but an extension past August 14 at 12 p.m. is not possible.
Your move-out date is Wednesday, August 31, by 12 p.m. noon.*There are no exceptions to this move-out deadline.
Policies & FAQs
- Any student found to be residing in their room beyond the 24-hour policy will be charged $100 for every additional day.
- Failure to return your keys will result in a $50 charge to pay for a lock change.
- Staying with other residents is also not permitted, everyone is required to vacate residence completely.
- Any items left behind will be disposed of which will result in a charge to your account.
How do I return my key?
Please return your key to avoid a $50 fee for a lock change:
Keys must be returned on the day you move out unless you are returning to the same residence room in May (then you may keep your keys over the break). If you are not returning in May, you must hand in your keys in April.
Dropboxes have been provided at MKV, MH, and CLV for key returns outside of regular operating hours.
Graduate students leaving on the last day of undergraduate exams (April 23) must return their keys by April 30.
What if I need extra time before moving out?
How do I get an Extension Request?
- The latest possible fall term move-out date is April 23, noon, upon approval. Extensions will only be granted to undergraduate students who meet our criteria.
- Please read the Extension request guidelines.
What if I am returning to Waterloo Residence next term?
Are you staying in the same room?
If you're returning to the same room in May, it's not necessary to remove your belongings or to return keys. We do suggest that you take home any valuables.
Are you changing rooms or residence building?
If you are not returning to the same room next term, an inspection will take place to assess standards
of cleanliness. Items left behind will be disposed of which will also result in a charge to your account.
Between term storage options
Are you an international, out-of-province, or student with a postal code beginning with K or P?
You may submit a Storage Request to make arrangements for your belongings between terms.
If you do not meet the storage request criteria, check out Store Your Dorm for short term options.
Between term accommodations
Find a local place to stay with our short-term accommodations list - perfect for those needing extra time, have family or friends visiting, or do not quality for an extension/early arrival.
What if I am moving off-campus?
If you are not returning to residence, an inspection will take place to assess standards of cleanliness.
When you move out, your room is expected to be in the same condition as it was when you moved in.
Items left behind will be disposed of which will also result in a charge to your account. Be sure
to remove all your personal belongings.
Failure to return your keys will result in a $50 charge to pay for a lock change.
Please return your keys, ResNet ethernet card and cable (if applicable) to the Front Desk.
Change your address:
- Address changes must be made through Canada Post prior to your moving date. We are not
able to forward mail to your new address.
- Store Your Dorm offers storage solutions. The University of Waterloo does not provide long term storage solutions.
- When you leave, please turn out all lights, and close all windows. Please be sure to leave your
fridge on and plugged in, if applicable.
Thank you for living with us, we hope to see you again!