Velocity Residence | Minota Hagey (MH) provides a unique opportunity for University of Waterloo students to live in an innovative and entrepreneurial environment right on campus.
Experience Velocity Residence | Minota Hagey
Size: 70 residents
Style: Hybrid (shared kitchen per floor and optional meal plans)
Meal plan: Optional
Community: First-year (1B students and onwards) and Upper-year students
First-year contract: 4-month contracts (Winter or Spring)
Upper-year contract: 4-month contracts (Fall, Winter or Spring)
Building: Minota Hagey consists of 3 floors. Each floor has 23-25 students, and 2 dons live in the building. Each floor is co-ed, has 2 single-gender bathrooms, and a fully equipped kitchen. The main floor has a Great Hall, which is equipped with a TV, video game consoles, games, and a variety of cables to ensure easy connectivity. There is also a study space, makerspace, and a boardroom.
Features and amenities
Residents begin the term with a week of ‘startup 101’ workshops each evening (including catered dinners), to help students get to know each other, and decide on a project to work on for the term
Residents are invited to weekly catered dinners in the residence, where local startup founders come and talk about their experiences. Students are also invited to high profile Big Dinners, held once a month for the entire Velocity community.
Velocity helps pay for small expenses that help facilitate the creation of projects residents work on throughout the term.
Minota Hagey does not have a front desk, however, Velocity students can access the front desk services at any of Housing’s other residence buildings.
All rooms and common areas include an unlimited high-speed Internet (ResNet) connection.
Dons are upper-year students who provide students with mentorship and support.
Heat, electricity, water and internet are all included with your residence fee.
WatCard operated laundry facilities are located in the main laundry facility. Irons and ironing boards are also available from the Village 1 Front Desk for you to use.
Every Saturday afternoon, a free grocery shuttle will take you to Bridgeport Plaza to shop for groceries.
As a UWaterloo resident, you have access to amenities located in other residences including: gaming tables, movies, music rooms, fitness rooms, tutoring centres, cafeterias and study rooms.
There are three kitchens in the residence including a microwave and cupboards.
Study and meeting rooms
Residents are able to book shared rooms and spaces for group meetings or study sessions.
Select common areas have a shared TV with cable service. Individual rooms are cable-ready; however, students must make their own arrangements to have service installed in their own room.
IT Service Desk
Located in the V1 community centre, the Residence IT Service Desk offers free technical support and services to all residents.
Eatery and dining
Room details and floor plans
All bedrooms in MH include:
- Twin-sized bed and mattress
- Closet, vanity & dresser
- Desk, desk lamp & chair
- Sink and mini fridge
- Bookshelves & waste basket
- Unlimited high-speed Internet (ResNet) connection
The single rooms at Minota Hagey are spacious with a window overlooking the bed. There are 2 large single-gender washrooms on each floor.
Cleaning and housekeeping
All residents are responsible for the day-to-day cleaning and maintenance of their room. Washrooms and common areas are cleaned by Housing staff every day.
All maintenance and repair requests should be reported to the V1 maintenance team right away.
Your Room Number, Minota Hagey Residence,
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Mail is delivered and picked up daily, except on holidays and weekends. Individual room mailboxes are located inside the main entrance of the Velocity Residence.
Frequently asked questions
Can you share my information with friends or family?
- No. If someone other than you, the applicant, is trying to obtain information on your behalf, we are not able to release your information to them.
- We will only release your information to you, the applicant, as per Policy 46.
- We care about your privacy.
What should I do if I notice unsafe conditions in my residence building?
- If you notice unsafe conditions in or around our residence buildings, report them to a nearby Housing staff member right away. As per Policy 34, we all have a responsibility to keep our campus safe.
Is tap water safe to drink?
- Yes. The Region of Waterloo maintain a high standard of quality assurance to ensure our tap water is safe to drink. For more information about the Region’s water treatment practices, please visit The Region of Waterloo website.
What happens if I lose my key(s)?
- Lost keys should be reported to your residence Front Desk immediately.
- If you lose your key(s), a spare one will be issued to you for up to 7 business days. If after 7 business days your key(s) has not been returned, you will be assessed a $50 fee to cover the cost of a lock change, and you (and your roommates, if applicable) will be given a brand new set of keys.
Who should I contact if I have a maintenance request?
- If an item in your room needs repairs, please contact the maintenance team in your residence building at the following email address:
- Velocity | Minota Hagey: email@example.com