Life at UWaterloo, around campus and off-campus, is a pretty safe place!
As part of Housing’s mission to ensure that we provide our students with a safe home, here are some of the safety related initiatives and resources we have in place:
- We have Residence Life staff who work in our buildings and at our Front Desks around the clock.
- We also have a team of after-hours maintenance professionals who work outside of regular business hours (including on weekends and on holidays!) to ensure our students are well supported at all times.
- We conduct evening safety walks twice per year with the Safety Office and Campus Police to identify possible safety issues around all of our residence buildings. As safety issues are identified, we take note of the concern and have our maintenance team address them promptly.
- Our team conducts an annual Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) audit.
- We collect student feedback and recommendations throughout the year that help inform decisions made by our Residence Safety and Security Infrastructure Advisory Committee (RSSIAC), which is comprised of members from Housing, the Safety Office, and Campus Police.
- All of our Community Centres are equipped with AED (Automated External Defibrillator) devices.
- We conduct monthly building inspections and regularly inspect all life safety systems.
- Manager On-Call: Three full-time Managers On-Call from Residence Life, Desks Services, and Residence Facilities are available 24/7/365 for full-time staff to call and receive support for high-level crisis concerns.
Ways that you can help keep our community safe:
- Report unsafe conditions in or around our residence buildings to a Housing staff member right away.
- Do not prop doors open, or allow people into residence if they are not personally known to you.
- All suspicious people and behaviour should be reported to a Don and/or Waterloo Campus Police, 519-888-4911, uwaterloo.ca/police
- If you lose your keys, notify your residence Front Desk immediately.
- Download the WatSAFE app to your personal mobile device for quick and convenient access to campus safety and emergency resources.