Studies so far have focused on:
- The relationship between the governance structure and outcomes (plan and partner outcomes) for community climate action plans (Wong, 2017; Clarke & Ordonez-Ponce, 2017; Wong, Clarke & Ordonez-Ponce, 2020);
- The relationship between the governance structure and progress on climate goals from a sustainability plan (Sun, 2018; Sun, Clarke & MacDonald, 2020); and
- Deep decarbonization pathways, strategies and governance arrangements (Linton, 2020; Linton, Clarke & Tozer, 2021; Linton, Clarke & Tozer, 2022; Zhou, Clarke, & FCM, 2022)
- Carbon accounting (Marlowe & Clarke, 2022).
Objective: Determine the current state of GHG emission reduction targets, measurement, monitoring and planning in Canadian municipalities.
Sub-Objective: Create a user-friendly, open database to share the data .
- Open, publicly available database with searchable, visible display options;
- Report on current state of GHG mitigation planning, measurement and monitoring in Canada (after year 1);
- Report on progress of GHG mitigation planning, monitoring and monitoring in Canada (after 5 years).
Objective: Advance standardized measurement systems and tools (indicators) that can also be used to identify mitigation opportunities and further social equity.
- New indicators related to transportation, carbon sinks, social equity, and green economy;
- Measurable GHG emissions and social sustainability indicators for reporting tool.
Objective: Enhance municipal monitoring & disclosure (carbon accounting, climate budgets, and TCFD), and integrate net-zero accounting and carbon budgets into municipal level decision making, to enhance transparency on action and gaps, drive planning to close gaps and provide accountability.
- Advanced technical guide for climate-related financial disclosure;
- Instruction manual based on advice on carbon accounting;
- Improved tool to embed methods for carbon accounting.
Objective: Enhance community-wide emissions measuring & monitoring (collaborative governance), and ensure equitable, diverse and inclusive engagement in climate action, measurement and monitoring.
- Advanced guide for collaborative governance that ensures diverse and inclusive action, measurement, and monitoring.
Objective: Mobilize knowledge resources and tools to diverse audiences using accessible and inclusive formats.
- Knowledge mobilization to 250 Canadian pilot cities.