Tuesday, July 31, 2018
What is happening? There is a planned power outage in the Math & Computer (MC) building, which will affect the WCMS.
What is the impact? During the outage, some parts of the WCMS will be operating at reduced capacity, and some non-production servers will be unavailable. Additional considerations must be taken into account.
The following servers will be available during the outage:
- Production (uwaterloo.ca) – half capacity
- Forms (uwaterloo.ca/forms)
- Scholar (uwaterloo.ca/scholar)
- WatVote (vote.uwaterloo.ca)
- Pilots (pilots.uwaterloo.ca)
- Feeds (wms-feeds.uwaterloo.ca)
- Search (uwaterloo.ca/search)
- Campus map (uwaterloo.ca/map) – half capacity
- Redirects (various URLs)
The following servers will be unavailable during the outage:
- Development (wms-dev.uwaterloo.ca)
- Training (wcms-training.uwaterloo.ca)
- Profiles (wms-profiles.uwaterloo.ca)
- Sandboxes (wms-sand7.uwaterloo.ca)
During the outage, the following requests will not be accepted:
- Site launches
- Moving, copying, or renaming sites
- New site requests
- SEW099 online training course (via LEARN)
We do not believe that it is necessary to modify anything on your site in preparation for the outage, such as shutting down or modifying web forms. However, we will be operating without redundancy, so we recommend you avoid:
- Major content revamps
- Heavy file uploads
- Extensive “visit our site” promo campaigns
During the outage, you should note:
- Internet connectivity on campus will be operating with reduced bandwidth and without redundancy.
- Production websites will be operating without redundancy.
- There may be “glitches” where certain features do not function as expected or at all.
- Depending on the load, sites may be slower to respond.
- Database replication will be paused, so there may be a period of slowness following the outage when replication is re-enabled.
When is this happening? Changes will begin on Friday, August 17, with the expectation that services are fully restored by Friday, August 31.