In June 2005, IST initiated a Desktop Rollover (DTR) program to provide a regular renewal of desktop computers in the academic-support areas of the university. The renewal will occur every five years. Dell is currently the preferred computer supplier.
The goal of the Desktop Rollover program is to provide full time eligible staff with high quality computers that perform well during the machine's life cycle. By running newer equipment staff benefit from the use of better performing computers while IST spends less time and effort performing maintenance and repairs.
See the program guidelines and details for more information.
Who can use this service:
- IT Support Staff
How to request this service:
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Average length of time to complete request:
Setup of new desktop rollover workstations usually takes two working days depending on when the workstation is delivered to the client's office. X-rollover computers repurposed as home workstations for staff can take up to 5 business days to configure.
Support for this service:
For Dell and Apple Desktop Rollover program computers contact Phil Knipe, IST.
On the Apple Store for Education Institution web site you can set up an account which allows for configuring and saving carts and paying by P-Card.
- After finding University of Waterloo on the Apple Store for Education Institution starting page, click on Register to set up an account.
- Please contact Donna Foreman-Braun in Procurement and Contract Services for more information.
To arrange for imaging of new academic support department computers:
- Ensure new computers are delivered to IST Workstation Services, East Campus 2 (EC2) room 114.
- Once a purchase order has been issued, email email@example.com with the following included:
- Subject Line: Non-DTR, department name, purchase order number.
- Include a copy of the purchase order or order confirmation, end user's full name and room number, date required, and any special requirements.
Contact Desktop Rollover support at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have about this process.
There is no charge for the standard Windows desktop workstation.
EC2 - East Campus 2
200 University Ave West