In June 2005, IST initiated a Desktop Rollover (DTR) program to provide a regular renewal of desktop computers in the academic-support areas of the university. The renewal will occur every five years. Dell is currently the preferred computer supplier for 2012-2017.
The goal of the Desktop Rollover program is to provide full time eligible staff with high quality computers that perform well during the machine's life cycle. By running newer equipment staff benefit from the use of better performing computers while IST spends less time and effort performing maintenance and repairs.
Program guidelines and details
- Available to staff employed in non-ancillary academic support departments.
- Only Full Time Eligible (FTE) staff qualify.
- Staff employed on contract, temporary, part-time or co-op work terms do not qualify.
- One rollover machine provided per FTE during rollover cycle. Current rollover cycle is 5 years for all computers.
- The Desktop Rollover program covers the cost of the current standard Dell High End desktop computer system, Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF including:
- Intel Core i7-7700 (QC/8MB/8T/3.6GHz/65W); supports Windows 10/Linux processor
- 8GB Memory
- 2.5 inch 256GB SATA Class 20 Solid State Hard Drive
- Dell P2417H 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with speaker bar
- Dell KB522 Business Multimedia Keyboard (US)
- Dell MS116 Wired Mouse Black
- 8X DVD+/-RW 9.5mm Optical Disk Drive
- AMD Radeon™ R5 430, 2GB, (DP/SL-DVI-I) Video card
- Departments may alternatively choose laptops and/or Apple computers.
- Extra costs for laptops, Apple, customized computers, peripherals and accessories which are greater than the rollover covered portion are the responsibility of the department.
- For purchases that are shared between the department and IST, a departmental account number is required for the purchase requisition; in which, approval for the expense with flow through the procurement system, known as Unit 4.
- All new rollover computers are purchased by IST
Purchasing a Dell computer
The University of Waterloo has an agreement with Dell Canada for advantageous pricing on new computers, peripherals and accessories.
To view the list of preferred desktops, notebooks, accessories and peripherals visit the Waterloo Dell Premier Ontario Education Collaborative Marketplace (OECM) website. No login required.
Purchasing an Apple computer
Procurement and Contract Services is now purchasing all Apple equipment online through an agreement with the Apple Store for Education Institution.
- You can find pricing and generate quotes online at the Apple Store for Education.
- Specify 'University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3G1' and browse as a Guest on the University of Waterloo store.
- When you add items to your cart you will be offered the opportunity to save the cart (PDF quote) and have it sent to you by email.
- Forward the saved cart along with a purchase requisition to Procurement and Contract Services who will review and convert the cart to an order.
- For Desktop Rollover program orders, forward the saved cart to Sue Beaupre, IST for approval and ordering. Note that AppleCare Protection must be purchased for all Desktop Rollover computers.
- Maintenance and repair of computers during the rollover cycle is the responsibility of IST.
- All DTR computers come with a four year warranty. There is no warranty coverage during the final year of the rollover cycle. If a computer requires hardware repairs during the final year of the cycle IST will decide between replacing parts and providing a new computer ahead of schedule.
What happens with computers after they have been rolled-over?
- Computers which have completed the rollover cycle and have been rolled-over (replaced) by new DTR computers are known as X-rollovers.
- X-rollovers are expected to be returned to IST. They will either be re-deployed by IST for short term use or sent to Central Stores for surplus sale or e-waste disposal.
- X-rollovers can be re-deployed to non-FTE staff on a short term basis. Computers should be returned to IST for hardware testing and re-imaging before being re-deployed.
- X-rollover computers may also be used as home computers for staff, subject to the policy of the staff person’s department. Computers should be returned to IST for hardware testing and re-imaging for home use before being taken off campus.
- X-rollover computers remain the property of the university. All home computer equipment should be returned to IST when a staff person is no longer employed by the University.
- Departments are responsible for all maintenance and repair expenses for X-rollover computers.
- IST may assign new hostnames to re-deployed X-rollover computers to help identify them as computers that have already completed the rollover cycle.
- Old home computer equipment can be returned to IST at any time for e-waste disposal.
Who can use this service:
- IT Support Staff
How to request this service:
Contact email@example.com for further information.
Average length of time to complete request:
Setup of new desktop rollover workstations usually takes two working days depending on when the workstation is delivered to the client's office. X-rollover computers repurposed as home workstations for staff can take up to 5 business days to configure.
Support for this service:
For Dell and Apple Desktop Rollover program computers contact Phil Knipe, IST.
On the Apple Store for Education Institution web site you can set up an account which allows for configuring and saving carts and paying by P-Card.
- After finding University of Waterloo on the Apple Store for Education Institution starting page, click on Register to set up an account.
- Please contact Donna Foreman-Braun in Procurement and Contract Services for more information.
To arrange for imaging of new academic support department computers:
- Ensure new computers are delivered to IST Workstation Services, East Campus 2 (EC2) room 114.
- Once a purchase order has been issued, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following included:
- Subject Line: Non-DTR, department name, purchase order number.
- Include a copy of the purchase order or order confirmation, end user's full name and room number, date required, and any special requirements.
Contact Desktop Rollover support at email@example.com with any questions you may have about this process.
There is no charge for the standard Windows desktop workstation.
EC2 - East Campus 2
200 University Ave West