To submit supplementary files (such as multimedia or data files) along with your thesis, you must follow the procedures below. Ensure your supplementary files are of the types listed below or they will not be accepted.
- Reference each supplementary file in its own appendix in your thesis:
- Create a separate appendix for the supplementary file that looks like this (replacing 'sound file' with your description, 'Sample Multimedia Appendix' with something appropriate, and the file name/description with your file name/description; you can also include additional information about your supplementary file if you wish):
Sample Multimedia Appendix
This appendix is a sound file of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 (Scherzo).
The file name of this sound file is “Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 (Scherzo).wma”.
If you accessed this thesis from a source other than the University of Waterloo, you may not have access to this file. You may access it by searching for this thesis on https://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/UWSpace.
- Make sure the appendices created for any supplementary files are referred to in the Table of Contents of your thesis. To see a sample thesis with this type of appendix, see Sample Multi Media Thesis (PDF).
- When following the instructions for submitting your thesis online, ensure to check the box beside "The item consists of more than one file" on the fourth screen of the submission process.
The recommended file size is 500MB or less.
If you have trouble reducing your video file size or converting a video to an acceptable format (see list below), please contact Dianne Naughton.
- GIF (.gif)
- JPEG (.jpeg)
- PDF (.pdf) use Type 1 PostScript fonts
- TIFF (.tif)
- MP4 (.mp4)
- Apple Quick Time (.mov)
Ensure you test the file on different computers and with different browsers. If you are compressing the files at all, it is especially important to test the file on different computers and different browsers.
For compression/multimedia help, please contact Dianne Naughton.
- MIDI (.midi)
- SND (.snd)
- WAV (.wav)
- Flash (SWF)
- Any other file types including Excel must be converted to PDF format before submitting
If you have procedural questions, please contact UWSpace at the library.
If you have technical questions regarding formatting/compressing your multimedia file, please contact Dianne Naughton.