The courses in the ITPD program are designed to teach recommended computing skills to University employees.
Program/course inquiries and cancellations can be directed to email@example.com.
Benefits of the ITPD program
- Offer standard courses at various levels,
- Make it easier for staff to choose courses to take,
- Help ensure staff have the prerequisites necessary to take courses,
- Provide more in-depth training. The first part of some courses will be used to demonstrate and practise the skills necessary to complete various tasks. The second part for these courses, will be project oriented,
- Provide easy access to course handouts and projects.
- Implement a registration system that will discourage people from missing courses they have registered for, and
- Provide you and your manager with your current professional development record in Workday.
Please note, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, hand-on style courses are currently unavailable.
- Some courses consist of demonstration and hands-on exercises in a computer lab.
- Some of the courses are presentation style and do not have hands-on practice.
ITPD handouts/course notes
Notes and sample files for current and past courses:
- Log in to our SharePoint site, then select "ITPD Handouts" from the menu. You may need to prefix your user ID with "nexus\" for example, "nexus\jones"
Note: As an IT Green Initiative, we no longer provide printed handouts for presentation-style courses. Two business days before the course, attendees will be emailed the handout file. The handout can be printed and brought to the class and/or downloaded to a portable device.
Before you attend an ITPD course
Currently, all online workshops are hosted in Microsoft Teams. An invite will be sent to you by the workshops facilitator(s). You will also be sent the course notes.
Please ensure you have:
- Access to a computer/device with internet connection.
- Access to Microsoft Teams (available to you as part of your Office 365 experience through Waterloo).
Other Applications you may use includes Mentimeter.com, and your facilitator(s) will provide direction on accessing/using this feature.
Audio and/or video capability to engage with course participants and/or facilitator(s).
- Course registration and cancellations are completed through Workday.
- All online workshops are currently hosted in Microsoft Teams. An invite will be sent to you by the workshops facilitator(s). You will also be sent the course notes.
- Once all session components are completed, you will receive credit in your training record on Workday.
- If you have questions, or have not received your invite prior to the course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips to ensure a great course
- When you join the meeting, explore the Teams toolbar (pictured below) to familiarize yourself with the features, such as the "Raise Your Hand" feature and the chat window.
- You can ask questions during the course by either raising your virtual hand or asking in the chat window.
- Ensure your camera is turned off and your microphone is muted at the beginning of the course.
- When called upon or participating, state your name, first.
- Have a notebook or paper ready for any notes you wish to capture.
Frequently asked questions
Who can register for ITPD courses?
- ITPD courses are open and free to all staff at Waterloo, including temporary/contract employees and employees of the Affiliated and Federated Institutions of Waterloo.
- Space is a limitation, though, as our class sizes are limited. Due to the limited course availability, it is highly recommended that you register early.
How can I tell what courses I'm registered for?
- You can view your enrollment status in Workday.
- On the home page, select the Learning application to review completed and enroled courses.
How do I remove myself from a course?
As a result of the University's current work from home model, the standard $75 fee charged to departments when a participant does not show up to a course they are registered for will be temporarily suspended for the upcoming fall term.
Participants should still cancel their attendance through the Workday registration system whenever possible.
To cancel your registration, you have two options:
Why does my supervisor also receive a copy of my registration?
- Your supervisor receives a copy of your registration to ensure they are aware of Organizational & Human Development's (OHD's) policies and procedures regarding training, such as the departmental charge of $75 if you cancel less than 72 hours prior to a course, or do not show up for a class for which you are registered.
As a result of the University's current work from home model, the standard $75 fee charged to departments when a participant does not show up to a course they are registered for will be temporarily suspended for the upcoming fall term. Participants should still cancel their attendance through the Workday registration system whenever possible.
Note: Family emergencies, illness, or inclement weather override this policy. Simply let us know if you cannot make or missed a course due to these reasons.
A copy of my registration goes to someone who isn't my supervisor. How can this error be fixed?
- Sounds like the "report's to" info hasn't been correctly entered/updated in Workday. Notifications are automated and based on this information. This issue could be be a variety of reasons: Positions are sometimes authorized by higher levels in an department, and it is taking those people as the reporting structure (higher managers and directors, instead of a person's supervisor). As well, if the reporting structure has not been properly reported to HR, then it defaults to the department head or higher manager. Or, a new employee hasn't been listed as the supervisor. At times, this might be a delay based on time to update the profiles.
- As such this is a HR matter. I would suggest that you and/or your manager contact your Human Resources Partners to have this information updated. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and your department.
Where can I find more information on the University's policy on training and development?
This specific information can be found on the University's Policies, Procedures & Guidelines website under Policy 18, listed under Training and Development.
I need to leave the course early. Do I need to attend the entire session?
Yes, we do require all our attendees to stay for the duration of the courses to obtain credit. We appreciate that people are busy. If you cannot attend the entire course we ask that you cancel your registration 72 hours prior to the start of the course. Please review our policies on cancelling and how to remove yourself from a course.
Suggestions and feedback
We appreciate your suggestions and feedback! Email email@example.com.
- Suggest an idea for a future ITPD course
- Give us feedback about the ITPD program