This service is provided by means of Qualtrics Insight Platform - a powerful enterprise-class survey system.
Guidelines for use
Qualtrics may be used by all University of Waterloo employees and graduate students for both academic and non academic purposes. The university's license does not include undergraduate student use of Qualtrics. Before considering a non academic survey, please consult with Institutional Analysis and Planning (IAP).
Users of Qualtrics Online Surveys must:
- Ensure copyright and other legal compliance
- Ensure consistency with University policy, guidelines and best practices.
- All UWaterloo surveys must follow guidelines provided by the Office of Research Ethics, and/or Institutional Analysis and Planning
- The University of Waterloo collects personal information in accordance with its policies and the rules set out under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). Please take into consideration the type of information being collected.
- Ensure their surveys are in compliance with applicable accessibility requirements and legislation.
- Survey developers should note that some Qualtrics question types do not meet common accessibility requirements. Qualtrics includes a tool that survey developers can use to check their survey for possible accessibility issues.
- Ensure compliance with Qualtrics terms of service.
- Create questionnaires from scratch or use pre-made questionnaires.
- Edit questionnaires by selecting from a vast library of question types and response options.
- Incorporate skip patterns and other types of logic.
- Provide anonymous links or send emails with unique links for each respondent for tracking and sending reminder emails.
- Produce and edit reports with tables and graphs that can be exported in PowerPoint, Word, Excel, or PDF formats.
- Download data to Excel or SPSS for additional analysis.
- Data is stored in a Canadian data centre and backed up in Canada.
- File upload add-on that allows respondents to upload files with their survey responses.
Who can use this service:
- Graduate Students
How to request this service:
To create your UWaterloo Qualtrics account.
- Go to https://uwaterloo.qualtrics.com
- Log in with your Nexus/WatIAM userid and password
(Note: After February 19 login with your email@example.com email and your WatIAM password)
- Select ‘I don’t have a Qualtrics account’ (there is a legal notice you will need to accept to continue).
- Set the correct time zone for your Qualtrics account:
- Profile (icon-top right corner ) -> Account Settings -> User Settings -Change Time Zone ->select “(GMT -05:00) Eastern time (US & Canada)
Support for this service:
Support for this service is available directly from Qualtrics:
Note: when accessing the "contact support" option, click on the SSO sign in and enter uwaterloo for the institution to take you to Qualtrics support.
- Qualtrics support centre has frequently asked questions, chat, email, and phone contacts.
- Qualtrics support pages for extensive online documentation and access to webinars.
- Qualtrics support form in the Help tab for logged-in users
- Qualtrics Research Services will help you customize a research solution (including survey design, data analysis, participant recruitment and reporting). Contact Hunter Bagnal at Qualtrics (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For problems with accounts please contact IST Qualtrics support.
Training and documentation:
For researchers who are interested in using Qualtrics but lack the knowledge, time or resources to program web surveys, the Survey Research Centre (SRC) offers Qualtrics programming services to University of Waterloo faculty, staff and graduate students.