August 2017

From its founding in 1957, the University of Waterloo has defied convention, breaking new ground, crossing old boundaries and challenging the status quo. Our 60th anniversary has been an opportunity to celebrate the stories that have shaped us, and to paint a vision of a bright future yet to come.

60 years of co-op at Waterloo

Department of Co-ordination and Career Services, now known as Co-operative Education & Career Action, in early 70's

What does 60 years of co-op look like at the University of Waterloo?

Reflections on the history of the School of Optometry and Vision Science

School of Optometry exam

In the early sixties, the College of Optometry of Ontario, Canada’s only English speaking Optometry program, was held in only two modest buildings at 138 and 140 St George Street, in the heart of Toronto.The reality was that the St. George Street buildings were bursting at the seams as 4 years of an optometry program within a space measuring only 15,600 square ft. Back then, the full-time faculty only included three; Dean Ted Fisher, Walwyn Long, and Clair Bobier. Later joined by William Lyle, the first of the faculty to have a PhD.

History of Computing at Waterloo

Man using the IBM 360

The David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science is one of Waterloo’s greatest advancements and this year marks its 50th year of innovation and change to the world. What started with the construction of a new building, also jump started a new faculty and a positive change to the world; one that was unexpected by academics like Don Cowan, Wes Graham and many more. This contribution has sparked a ripple effect of success throughout the past 50 years, and will definitely continue in the years to come.