Information for

For International students

About the award

Student preforming experiment in cleanroom

International Undergraduate Research Awards (URA) applications are due Monday, January 9, 2017. References are due Monday, January 16, 2017.

You can stay at IQC with a summer URAs any time between May 1 and August 25, but you are required to stay a minimum of ten weeks.

For students in countries with exams until the end of June, you can start your URA at the beginning of July.

You should decide on your start and end dates with your supervisor.

Award details

International URAs are awarded $50 CAD a day for cost of living, to a maximum of $1,500 CAD a month. Accommodations for International URAs are provided by IQC at no cost to you.

Once you have been awarded a URA, it is important that you promptly return all required paperwork (given to you upon acceptance). It can take several weeks to process your visa and required government documentation, which could delay your start date.


What is the deadline to apply?

Applications are due Monday, January 9, 2017. References are due Monday, January 16, 2017. We will not contact your reference until you submit your completed application

How long can I stay at IQC for my URA?

URAs need to be a minimum of ten weeks long. All URAs need to finish by Friday, August 25. Start dates depend on your supervisor’s availability and when you have all the proper documentation. URAs can start as early as May 1.

Will I be paid?

No. International URAs are not paid a salary, however you are awarded a maximum of $1,500 CAD (before taxes) a month for living expenses and you do not have to pay for your accommodations - IQC provides those to you.

Do I pay taxes on my award?

Yes. Your award is subject to a 15% deduction of Canadian tax. Once you receive your URA confirmation you should apply for an Individual Tax Number (ITN). Your ITN should be given to Human Resources so they can easily track the taxes you pay. Once you return to your home institute you can file to reclaim the money.

Do I need health insurance?

Yes. Participation in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is mandatory for anyone who is visiting the University of Waterloo and is not eligible for Ontario Health Insurance. The cost of the plan can be deducted from your award amount. A Human Resources staff member will help you enroll for UHIP.

Educational programs

QKD - Quantum Key Distribution Summer School

USEQIP - Undergraduate School on Experimental Quantum Information Processing

QCSYS - Quantum Cryptography School for Young Students

Quantum Innovators logo