Contact Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology
Mike & Ophelia Lazaridis Quantum-Nano Centre, Room 3606
University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. W.
Waterloo, ON. N2L 3G1
+1 519 888 4567, ext.38654
Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology (WIN) believes in strong governance. We believe we are accountable to our stakeholders. We believe that WIN can benefit from the review, insight and guidance provided by top directors with strong international, industrial and academic experience in science and technology.
Board of Directors (BOD)
The BOD provides operational oversight and approval. The BOD:
- receives regular and annual activity and financial reports from the Executive Director;
- develops and approves policies;
- approves memberships; and
- considers all matters relevant to the successful operation of the institute.
The BOD consists of members of the research, institutional and corporate communities who have expertise on nanotechnology issues and who are interested in and committed to the institute’s mission. The directors include:
- WIN Executive Director
- Deans of Engineering and Science
- Three industrial/partner members
- Three regular WIN faculty members
Members of the WIN BOD
Dr. George Dixon, Vice-President, University Research, University of Waterloo
- Mr. Atul Asthana, Advisor, MARS Discovery District
- Dr. Hany Aziz, Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo
- Dr. Chris Backhouse, Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo
- Dr. Steven Bloembergen, Executive Vice President Technology, EcoSynthetix Inc.
- Dr. Rina Carlini, CEO and President, HalTech Regional Innovation Centre
- Dr. Arthur Carty, Executive Director, Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology (WIN), University of Waterloo
- Dr. Marie D'Iorio, Executive Director, National Institute for Nanotechnology (NINT)
- Dr. George Dixon, Vice President, University Research, University of Waterloo
- Dr. Bob Lemieux, Dean of Science, University of Waterloo
- Dr. Linda Nazar, Professor, Chemistry, University of Waterloo
- Dr. Ted Sargent, Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto
- Dr. Pearl Sullivan, Dean of Engineering, University of Waterloo
- Dr. Michael Tam, Professor, Chemical Engineering, University of Waterloo
- Dr. Jeff Young, Professor, Physics and Astronomy, University of British Columbia
International Scientific Advisory Board (ISAB)
The ISAB is an external expert committee that provides advice to the executive director and the Board of Directors of WIN on the excellence, relevance and impact of research programs carried out by WIN members; the degree to which the research programs reflect the vision and objectives of the institute; the strategic positioning of the institute; the identification of promising new areas of focus; the identification of potential synergies and partnerships with other major players in nanotechnology and other issues of scientific importance that may affect WIN’s progress and goals.
Members of the WIN ISAB
Dr. Savvas Chamberlain, CEO and Chairman, EXEL Research Inc.
- Dr. Arthur Carty, Executive Director of Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology, University of Waterloo
- Dr. Fernando Galembeck, Professor, Instituto de Quimica - Unicamp, Brazil
- Mr. Iain Klugman, President and CEO, Communitech, Canada
- Dr. Eugenia Kumacheva, University Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, Canada
- Dr. Richard Martel, Université de Montréal Research Chair in Conducting Nanostructures and Interfaces, Département de chimie, Université de Montréal, Canada
- Dr. C.N.R. Rao, National Research Professor and Honorary President & Linus Pauling Research Professor, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), India