University COVID-19 update

Visit the University's Coronavirus Information website for more information.

The Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology main office (QNC 3606) is closed until further notice. If you are a student trying to pick up or return a lab/office key, please email for assistance. All other inquires can be directed to For emergencies, contact Campus Police.

International collaboration

Canada produces 3% of the world’s publications in nanotechnology. That 3% is our ticket to the other 97%.

International collaboration is a mandate of Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology (WIN) and increasingly for all research institutions around the world. It allows researchers to participate in networks of excellence and engage in innovative activity.

WIN has led and funded faculty delegations to the following countries:

  • Japan 2009 & 2010
  • India 2009 & 2010
  • Taiwan 2010
  • Israel 2010

A total of 34 WIN members have been funded. For the researchers on these trips, international collaboration has identified complementary expertise with leading people and provided access to world-class facilities that have enabled high impact activity that would not otherwise have been created.

It was possible to identify potential collaborators, assess infrastructure capability, determine interpersonal "fit" and define precise collaborative projects. This level of engagement can only be achieved through face-to-face meetings and discussion such as those which took place during these missions.

Additionally, appreciating the unique cultural norms and political strengths of each country is an important knowledge asset for cultivating and furthering research collaborations.

Finally, more projects were identified that listed in this report. Projects were ranked and supported based on available funding. The participant's knowledge of these additional projects and their deeper understanding of the broad expertise at each institution will form the foundation for many future collaborative opportunities.