Graduate students from globally renowned graduate schools are accepted to the National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS) in Japan for training as part of their International Cooperative Graduate Program.
The International Cooperative Graduate Program (ICGP) is a program to accept graduate students from overseas universities with which NIMS concluded an International Cooperative Graduate Program agreement. NIMS can accept doctoral students for six months to a year to carry out collaborative researches with the partner universities. Students can conduct part of their thesis work at NIMS with the co-supervision by the staff of NIMS. NIMS accepts about 30 students from the partner universities each year.
Application for January 2021 students is now open!
Application deadline at NIMS: November 30, 2020
Document screening: End of August to Mid-September
Announcement of the result: End of September
Training start: February, 2021* (subject to change based on travel restrictions due to COVID-19 or other related considerations)
Features of the program
- Apply through the office in charge of the ICGP at the partner universities.
- Students will be selected based on the application documents and recommendation from their thesis supervisors followed by telecom interviews by prospective co-supervisors at NIMS.
- Duration of stay is from 6 to 12 months.
- Complete doctoral thesis at the partner university.
Basic terms and conditions
- Financial Supports by NIMS: living allowances and accommodation fee in Tsukuba
- Students’ Position in NIMS: visiting scientist (trainee with visa status)
- Working Language: English
- Other Supports: visa arrangements, Japanese language & culture experience program, and living assistant service for foreign researchers
How to apply
Candidates must apply through the office in charge of ICGP at the partner universities. The application package should include the completed application form, recommendation letters from the student's supervisors at the partner university and official academic transcripts.
Graduate Program Office (GPO) will contact the NIMS prospective co-supervisor mentioned in the application form to confirm the willingness of accepting the candidates. The prospective co-supervisor will decide whether or not to accept the student by document screening and telecom interview.
Please note that the GPO only accepts the application submitted through the office in charge of ICGP at the partner university. Application will not be accepted directly from individual professors or students.
* The prospective co-supervisor at NIMS sends a reference request to the university supervisor.
- University selects candidates for NIMS ICGP Fellowship.
- Person in charge of this program of university side submits the application to NIMS Graduate Program Office by the deadline. Designated application form is provided.
- Document screening is made among all the applicants. NIMS Vice-President makes his/her judgement if the applicant shall be accepted or not.
- Graduate Program Office decides the most suitable supervisor.
- NIMS President gives a final approval of the student acceptance.
- The administrative procedure, including Visa and accommodation arrangement in Tsukuba, shall be taken care of by NIMS Graduate Program Office.
The points of agreement
- Candidate should be a full-time PhD student.
- Training duration in NIMS is from 6 to 12 months.
- Living expenses and accommodations is covered by NIMS.
- No charge for the tuition fee or use of facilities is requested by NIMS.