Frequently asked questions

1. Q. I was trained as an optometrist outside of North America and would like to practise optometry in Canada. What do I do?

A. Any optometrist educated outside North America intending on applying for registration or licensure to practise optometry in any province of Canada, other than Quebec, must first contact the Federation of Optometric Regulatory Authorities of Canada (FORAC). There are a number of steps that must be completed, and information relating to FORAC’s credentialing process and other requirements can be found at:

2. Q. If I graduate from an optometry school in the United States, am I required to apply for the Bridging Program if I wish to practice in Canada?

A. No, if you graduate from an optometry school in the United States, you would not be required to apply for the Bridging Program. We do suggest however, to contact the province in which you wish to practice to find out what their specific requirements are.