How to make a quarantine plan
Your plan should include:
- where you will stay and how you will get there
- how you will get your groceries
- how you will access essential services and medical care
The University has created a new subsidized Waterloo Student Quarantine Package for International students arriving in Canada to study at UWaterloo. You can register for this package, which includes accommodations, transportation, health check-ins and a meal plan, or create your own quarantine plan following the steps below.
Your next steps are:
- Pre-arrange where you will quarantine.
- If you're arriving by air after February 22 you will need to quarantine in a government-authorized hotel and await the results of the COVID-19 test you received on arrival. If your test results are negative, you'll then continue on to your original quarantine destination.
- You may quarantine at your off-campus accommodation if you're able to physical distance from others and avoid contact with vulnerable people such as people 65 years or older, or people with underlying medical conditions. Public living areas are to be avoided. You can only quarantine with individuals who you have lived together with, in the same household (e.g., family members), in your country of origin.
- Check Waterloo Residences' short-term accommodations listing for recommendations.
Book your travel from the government-authorized hotel to where you will quarantine.
You may not make any planned or unplanned stops on your trip to your quarantine location.
There are many transportation options. You can book with Airways Transit or another shuttle service, or book a taxi or limousine offered by a variety of companies. While at the airport, beware of drivers who solicit passengers inside the terminals. These are unlicensed taxis and limos that charge more than the regulated rates. Look for signage throughout the airport to identify verified transportation services.
If you're travelling with a lot of luggage, you should notify your transport company beforehand so that they can make provisions for you.
- Arrange how you will get groceries and/or meals during quarantine.
- Arrange for a delivery of groceries and essential supplies from Instacart, Grocery Gateway or Mrs. Grocery. Use PROMO CODE: WARRIOR for 15% off your first order at Mrs. Grocery.
- Little Mushroom Catering will deliver fresh meals and grocery items Tuesdays and Thursday. Use PROMO CODE: SAFEWARRIOR for free delivery when you order over $30 worth of food.
- Order takeout food from Uber Eats, SkipTheDishes or Doordash.
- Check for additional restaurants that are open and provide delivery in the region: Kitchener, Waterloo Restaurants, Cafes and Grocery Stores Open During COVID-19
- Write your plan (PDF template) and, before you travel, submit the information to
- UWaterloo on the International Student Travel Plans and Quarantine Form and
- to the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) through ArriveCAN (iOS, Android or web version).
For more information, please refer to the Government of Canada guidelines and the University of Waterloo's COVID-19 Information website. Refer back to our COVID-19 Travel and Quarantine Checklist for the next steps that you need to follow.