How to make a quarantine plan
If you are under the age of 18 and not fully vaccinated, you will be required to quarantine when you enter Canada.
Your quarantine plan should include:
- where you will stay and how you will get there
- how you will get your groceries
- how you will access essential services and medical care
Your next steps are:
- Pre-arrange where you will quarantine.
- You may quarantine at your off-campus accommodation if you're able to physical distance from others and avoid contact with vulnerable people such as people 65 years or older, or people with underlying medical conditions. Public living areas are to be avoided. You can only quarantine with individuals who you have lived together with, in the same household (e.g., family members), in your country of origin.
- Check Campus Housing's short-term accommodations listing for recommendations.
Book transportation to your quarantine location.
There are many transportation options. You can book with Airways Transit or another shuttle service, or book a taxi or limousine offered by a variety of companies. While at the airport, beware of drivers who solicit passengers inside the terminals. These are unlicensed taxis and limos that charge more than the regulated rates. Look for signage throughout the airport to identify verified transportation services.
If you're travelling with a lot of luggage, you should notify your transport company beforehand so that they can make provisions for you.
If required to quarantine, you may not make any planned or unplanned stops on your trip to your quarantine location.
- Arrange how you will get groceries and/or meals during quarantine.
- Arrange for a delivery of groceries and essential supplies from Instacart, Grocery Gateway or Mrs. Grocery.
- Order takeout food from Uber Eats, SkipTheDishes or Doordash.
- Check for additional restaurants that are open and provide delivery in the region: Kitchener, Waterloo Restaurants, Cafes and Grocery Stores Open During COVID-19
- Plan your quarantine and, before you travel, input the details of your plan into:
- UWaterloo's International Student Travel Plans and Quarantine Form (if under 18 and not fully vaccinated) and
- the Canada Border Service Agency's (CBSA) ArriveCAN system (iOS, Android or web version).
For more information, please refer to the Government of Canada guidelines and the University of Waterloo's COVID-19 Information website. Refer back to our COVID-19 Travel and Quarantine Checklist for the next steps that you need to follow.
The Government of Canada has created a self-assessment tool that you can use to assess your quarantine plan. The University of Waterloo is unable to review or approve your quarantine plan.