Call 911 in an emergency
On campus safety and security
The University of Waterloo has a Campus Police service. At the University, UW Police handle security matters and are available 24 hours a day. Call them at 519-888-4911.
You can take an active role in your personal safety and security on campus by downloading the WatSAFE app. The app will help you stay informed of campus safety and emergency situations. You can also purchase safety whistles from stores across campus.
During the evening hours, the campus emergency phones and the Safety Office also help ensure your safety.
You and your dependants have the right to freedom from sexual harassment, discrimination, racism and prejudice. If you feel you've been the victim of any offence, contact Counselling Services at 519-888-4567 ext. 32655, the Conflict Management and Human Rights Office, and/or UW Police as soon as possible.
Counselling Services provides a list of emergency numbers.
Be aware of scams
There are ongoing scams targeting international students and you should remain aware. You should know:
- The University of Waterloo and the Government of Canada will not ask you to provide your financial details or your Social Insurance Number.
- Never provide personal information through email.
- Learn how to protect yourself against scams by visiting the Government of Canada's website.
- Also, UWaterloo's Information Systems & Technology has resources available to help you learn how to spot fraudulent emails and other phishing tactics:
- Contact UW Police or your local police service immediately if you suspect you may be the victim of fraud or have been tricked into giving personal or financial information.