Applying for and renewing documents

Whether you are applying for documents for the first time or renewing your documents, we can help you through the process. If you have any questions, please drop by the Student Success Office to speak with an International Student Advisor. You can also call 1-519-888-4567 ext. 84410 or send us an email.

Changes to the International Student Program regulations have taken effect June 1, 2014. It is important that you read and understand the information IRCC has released. These changes will specifically impact applying for a study permit, studying in Canada, and working off campus during your studies. 

More information on the documents you need to enter and study in Canada can be found at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Apply for documents

Document Description
Passport An identification document issued by your government that guarantees re-admission to your home country following your stay in Canada.
Study Permit A study permit gives you permission to study at a designated learning institution in Canada. Your study permit status must always be valid while you are studying in Canada.
Temporary Resident Visa Depending on your country of citizenship, you may require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in your passport to enter Canada.
Electronic Travel Authorization If you do not require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada and are not a citizen of the United States, you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before boarding a plane to Canada.
United States Visitor Visa If you are going to visit the United States of America during your stay in Canada, you may require a United States Visitor Visa depending on your country of citizenship.
Social Insurance Number There are different ways to apply for a Social Insurance Number depending on the Canadian immigration documents you hold.
Work Permit You will need a work permit if you are in a co-op program and a different work permit to work in Canada once you graduate.

Apply for replacement documents

If your Canadian immigration document has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you can apply for a replacement copy. Most documents issued by Canadian immigration authorities can be replaced. However, you cannot replace a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). You would just have to apply for a new one once you have a valid passport and study permit.

How to invite your family to visit

If you would like to invite your family to visit you in Canada, you will need to prepare and send the following documents to them for their overseas Temporary Resident Visa application:

  • An invitation letter signed by you that outlines who you are, who you are inviting to Canada, the reason for their trip, etc.
  • Official letter from the university confirming registration for current term and past academic terms, duration of degree program, and anticipated completion date or Letter of Acceptance if you are not at UWaterloo yet
  • Official transcript from the university
  • A copy of your study permit
  • A copy of your passport
  • Proof of funds if you are sponsoring their trip

Your family members will be required to provide additional documents in their application.

International Student Identity Card

The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) entitles you to student discounts around the world on travel, shopping, museums and more. The ISIC is also the only internationally accepted proof of full-time student status. All full-time students are eligible for an ISIC. You can get your ISIC at Travel CUTS in the University Shops Plaza.