Applying for documents

A stack of Citizenship and Immigration Canada documents.


Document Description
Passport An identification document issued by your government that guarantees re-admission to your home country following your stay in Canada.
Study Permit A document that gives you permission to study at a Canadian designated learning institution. Your study permit status must always be valid while you are studying in Canada.
Temporary Resident Visa Depending on your country of citizenship, you may require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in your passport to enter Canada.  
Electronic Travel Authorization If you do not require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada and are not a citizen of the United States, you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before boarding a plane to Canada.
United States Visitor Visa If you are going to visit the United States of America during your stay in Canada, you may require a United States Visitor Visa depending on your country of citizenship.
Social Insurance Number There are different ways to apply for a Social Insurance Number depending on the Canadian immigration documents you hold.
Work Permit You will need a work permit if you are in a co-op program or if you wish to work in Canada after graduation.

Bringing your family

If your dependents (i.e. a spouse/common-law partner and/or children) are travelling with you to Canada for your studies at the University of Waterloo, you can apply for their immigration documents when you apply for your initial study permit. They are subject to the same general immigration requirements that you are.

If you are in Canada and want to invite your family to come to Canada, they must apply for their immigration documents through a Canadian visa office serving their home country or country where they are legally admitted.

Other documents to bring

You may find the following documents useful to have once you are in Canada.

  • Government issued photo identification
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate (if traveling with your spouse/common-law partner)
  • Official academic transcripts and degree certificates
  • English language test scores
  • International driver's license or driver's license from home country
  • Driver's history if you plan on applying for an Ontario driver's license

If you are in Canada and have questions about your immigration documents, please speak with an International Student Advisor by phone at 1-519-888-4567 ext. 84410, send us an email, or drop by the Student Success Office in person.

If you are outside of Canada, and looking for more information about the documents you need to enter and study in Canada please visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).