We have an experienced and dedicated team of advisors that are happy to assist you during your time at the University of Waterloo. All of our International Student Advisors are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council. All consultations with the International Student Advisors are free and confidential.

International Student Advisor hours:


  • Monday to Friday, 12:00 - 3:30 p.m.


  • Monday to Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
  • Tuesday and Thursday, 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.

Application Assistance Workshops:

These workshops are held every weekday at 12:00 - 1:00pm throughout fall term in South Campus Hall (SCH) 217. You have to sign-up ahead of time at the Student Success Office front desk. The topics are: 

  • Mondays – Amendment or replacement of immigration document
  • Tuesdays – Co-op work permit
  • Wednesdays – Study permit
  • Thursdays – Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
  • Fridays – Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Please note that no workshops will be held on October 9-11. 

International Student Advisors can answer questions about:


You must bring your passport, Temporary Resident Visa (Canada Visa), study permit, and work permit (if you have one) when you visit us for immigration advising.

  • Study permit (students in Canada)*
  • Working on and off campus
  • Co-op work permit
  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
  • Post-graduation work permit
  • Permits for spouse/common-law partner and/or children in Canada
  • Inviting family to visit

Medical coverage

  • University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)
  • Federation of Students (Feds)/Graduate Student Association (GSA) Health and Dental Plan

Other government resources

  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) inquiries
  • Provincial photo identification inquiries


  • Pre-arrival questions
  • Cultural adjustment to Canada
  • Referrals to campus resources

*New, incoming students outside of Canada with study permit questions should visit the Government of Canada immigration website.