Government Registration and Visas

Government Registration

We strongly encourage Canadian participants travelling for academic purposes or university business to register with the Canadian Government: Canadians Abroad prior to your departure. For those who are not travelling on a Canadian passport, you are advised to register with the equivalent Consulate/Embassy of the Country of the passport you are travelling on, where possible.

Your registration allows you to contact your government officials if you require assistance in the event of an emergency (natural disasters, civil unrest, personal injury, etc.). Conversely, officials can notify you if there are any changes or updates to travel advice or advisories in your specific geographical region.

In addition to signing up for the service, we strongly recommend that you do the following before you leave so that you can be contacted in case of an emergency:

  • Leave a detailed travel itinerary and contact details with family, friends, and/or supervisor or program coordinator in Canada

  • Know emergency contact information for the Canadian government offices (or for the country's passport you are travelling on) in the countries you plan to visit. You can find the consulate/embassy addresses under the 'Assistance' tab of your travel destination.  

  • Review Government of Canada travel advice

  • Scan your personal documents (passport, visa – if you have one, other government issued documents) and email them to yourself so you can access this information if they are lost or stolen

Visas and Passports

A visa is an official document, usually stamped or glued inside a passport, giving permission from a foreign authority for you to enter a country. Requirements, fees and processing times vary, depending on the country and type of visa you need. The most common categories are business, work, student and tourist visas. Travellers can contact foreign government offices in Canada to inquire about visa processes.

A valid passport is required for international travel and every country has their own entry/exit requirements. It is your responsibility to ensure that your passport is valid for the entire duration of your time abroad and will not expire until at least six months after your return. You may be required to register your arrival with the local authorities upon your entry to certain countries. To avoid potential complications while travelling, be sure that you investigate the entry/exit requirements of the country or countries that you are visiting and find out more about Canadian passport information.