It is your responsibility to ensure you have appropriate health insurance for international travel. Prior to travel, you should confirm with your insurance provider that you have insurance coverage for both the destination you are travelling to and the activities you are engaging in. The university's Extended Health Care Plan includes international travel health coverage. When travelling on authorized University of Waterloo business, Waterloo staff are also covered by the university workers' compensation policy if injured. 

As of January 1, 2020 the Ontario government has changed the coverage of emergency out-of-country medical costs provided under OHIP. Individuals should review the ‘OHIP Out of Country Services’ program to learn what medical services are covered by OHIP outside of Ontario.

If you are unsure of what plan you have, contact Human Resources.