Waterloo International subscribes to the services of International SOS to provide travel assistance and advice for both University-related and personal travel. This service is available to all full-time students, faculty, and staff. Their team of over 11,000 full-time professionals includes 1,400 doctors and over 200 security specialists. Their staff can speak 99 languages, and they have offices in 92 countries around the world. They also have access to a vast network of accredited healthcare, aviation, and security providers.
International SOS provides worldwide medical, security, travel, and emergency assistance – but it is NOT insurance. All University of Waterloo travellers must obtain their own out-of-country travel insurance.
There may be costs associated with any assistance you receive (i.e. prescription medication, hospital stays, and emergency evacuation). If so, these costs will not be covered by International SOS; they may or may not be covered by your travel insurance.
You have access to a wide variety of services, resources, and timely information throughout the planning and duration of your time abroad.
Prior to travel, you can receive:
- pre-trip advice for your specific geographical location: vaccination information, cultural best practices such as greeting, tipping, and local transportation guidelines
- specific information for LGBTQ2IA+ and female travelers
- local currency, taxation guidelines, and banking information
- medical standards of care that you can expect
- access to a representative at any time; advice is unlimited and it is free to call
- travel security and safety assistance email alerts
- real time alerts regarding road closures, airport delays, protests, or political rallies near your location
- free translation services
- access to walk-in clinics, medical professionals, replacement of your medication if it is lost or needs to be renewed
- assistance if your passport is lost or stolen
Contact Waterloo International’s Safety Abroad Coordinator to receive your free International SOS membership number
If you would like to access International SOS's resources, please complete this three step process. Full details are provided below.
REGISTER WITH MYTRIPS
To start, click MyTrips.
REGISTER AS A NEW USER
In order to begin, you will need to register as a “New User” and customize your profile page with your specific information. The step-by-step instructions are included in the steps listed below. It is quick, easy, and provides relevant travel information.
We cannot track details about your location until you complete your travel information at the “Create New Trip” tab. You may need to log back into your profile once your trip details are confirmed in order to populate this tab.
- Go to “New User? Register here” and use your UW/Quest user ID and password in order to access this login page
- Click “Submit”
** Upon clicking the submit button, the next page will display a message indicating that a verification email was sent to your email address. You will need to activate your account within 24 hours in order to register for MyTrips **
CREATE YOUR PROFILE
- Login to your MyTrips profile page
- Click on the “Edit” link to update your profile information as prompted
- Click on the “Update” button to save your profile information
** Every time you log into your MyTrips account, your profile information will be available for you to view and to update with your trip information **
CREATE YOUR TRIP
We will not be alerted to the health or safety situations at your location until you complete your travel information at the “Create New Trip” tab on your profile page. Please remember to populate this tab once your trip details are confirmed. You can enter your trip details by:
- Clicking on the “Create New Trip” button in the upper left side of your profile page.
- Entering the trip name or the confirmation of your trip. Based on your itinerary details, you can start adding trip segments by clicking on the appropriate tab (Add Flight, Add Accommodations, Add Train, Add Ground Transportation).
Each time you travel, you simply enter your travel itinerary details here. Your profile will stay populated unless you change your information.
If you need assistance, please refer to the User Guide in the upper right corner of your profile page.
SIGN UP FOR EMAIL ALERTS
To access pre-travel information for your geographical location, International SOS is one of the resources where you can find specific real-time updates and information. To access the Travel and Safety Advice and Email Alerts, please log into the International SOS Site.
Go to Member Log In and enter the UW Membership Number
Now you have access to the International SOS Members’ Page and can request specific information that pertains to your trip. From the Members’ Page, select the country you are going to from the blue box on the left side of the page
- Check the box next to the type of alerts you want to receive
- Use the drop down menu to select 'All updates' or 'Special Advisories'
- Place checkmarks in the boxes next to your country(ies) of interest
- Press the 'Save Changes' button when you have completed your selections
This will provide you with an overview of the following categories: Risk Rating, Risk Summary, Alerts, Vaccinations, and Other Medical Precautions.
In addition, you can access the Security, Medical, Travel, and City tabs for your location. Click on the Email Alerts to register for this service.
To stay up-to-date on Security, Medical, and Travel alerts for your location, or if you choose to visit another location while you are abroad, you can register for International SOS Email Alerts. You will need to register for the alerts that correspond to your trip. You can unsubscribe after your trip if you choose.
When you receive an alert, please review and follow the directions that International SOS will provide. If you have questions about the alert, you have access to the International SOS Assistance Centres around the globe.
DOWNLOAD THE ASSISTANCE APP
The Assistance App provides you with:
- Access to timely medical, security, and travel overviews for your location
- One-touch dialing to the nearest International SOS Assistance Centre
- Access to International SOS teams of security and medical analysts and experts 24 hours a day, every day
The Assistance App does not provide you with:
- Access to MyTrips
- Email alerts
Please ensure that you register with MyTrips AND sign up for the International SOS email alerts (Steps 1 and 2 above).
To download the Assistance App:
- You will find versions of the app for iPhone, Android, and Blackberry users. Search for the International SOS Assistance App.
- In order to open the app once downloaded, scroll to the bottom of the screen and enter the University's membership number. If you do not know the membership number, contact email@example.com.