The University of Waterloo ranks among the top institutions in the world. As home to the world's largest post-secondary co-operative education program, the University of Waterloo, in Waterloo, Canada, embraces its connections to the world. We encourage enterprising partnerships in learning, research and commercialization. With campuses and education centres on four continents and academic partnerships spanning the globe, Waterloo is shaping the future of the planet.
Ideas start here
For 25 years in a row, Waterloo has been named Canada's Most Innovative University in the Maclean's reputational survey of Canadian universities.
National university rankings
- Ranked #1 best reputation in 2017 (Maclean's)
- Ranked #2 best overall university in 2017 (Maclean's)
Global university rankings
- Waterloo ranks among the top 275 in the world out of 16,000 universities (Times Higher Education World University Rankings)
- Waterloo has the 10th best water research institution in the world and is the only Canadian institute in the top 10 (Lux Research Inc.)
- Top 50 for engineering (Academic Rankings of World Universities)
2014/2015 QS World University Rankings
- 24th in the world for Computer Science and Mathematics
- Top 100 for Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Geography and Statistics
- Top 150 for Accounting and Finance, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Sciences, Philosophy, Political Science and Global Studies, Psychology and Sociology
- Top 200 for Chemistry, Earth Sciences, English Language and Literature, Physics and Astronomy
Part of a dynamic community
The University of Waterloo is known as an internationally-minded institution, however it is also an integral part of the surrounding local community.
See the Community Impact Report to learn how the university has contributed to economic, philanthropic and environmental initiatives across the Kitchener-Waterloo community.
Find out more about Waterloo.
Find out more about who we are, what we stand for, and our campuses, research and teaching.