Information for

Course enrollment

Course descriptions and availability

Kinesiology graduate course descriptions, see Graduate Course Calendar.

Courses being offered each term can be checked on the Schedule of Classes for Graduate Students.

Selected topics/Reading courses

These courses are generally reading/independent study courses developed by the student in collaboration with the desired course supervisor (professor).

Courses are numerically graded for 0.5 credits. The course codes are as follows:

MSc: KIN 680, 682, 684, 686

PhD: KIN 760, 780, 782

The following points are intended to help in the process of enrolling in a “Selected Topics” course:

Note: It is generally a good idea to discuss your course choices and independent study topics with your graduate supervisor before enrolling in a course.

  1. Determine the topic number you would like your independent study course to involve.
  2. Choose a course supervisor (professor) who would be most appropriate for the material you wish to study.
  3. Decide, with the course supervisor, the general content/requirements for your selected topics course.
  4. Review the current topic title numbers listed in the Graduate Studies Calendar that you will be taking.
  5. If there is a current topic title that is appropriate for your independent course, e-mail the KIN Graduate Coordinator the topic title and the name of the professor with whom you will be working.
  6. If there is not a current topic title that is appropriate for your independent course, create a new title (Not exceeding 30 characters with spaces) and e-mail this to the KIN Graduate Coordinator along with the name of the professor with whom you will be working.
  7. The KIN Graduate Coordinator will add your selected topic course to the schedule of classes allowing you to register. 

Graduate Studies course drop/add

Graduate studies course drop/add (pdf)

Use this form to:

  • Request to audit a course or to take a course as extra to your degree.
  • Enrol in an undergraduate course.
  • Drop or add a course after the enrollment deadline.
  • Enrol in a course that has a time conflict (e.g. overlapping meet time with another course).

Note: Incomplete forms will be returned to your academic department. Use one form for each class change.

Course Drop/Add Date regulations are in the Graduate Calendar.

Grades and incomplete courses

Instructors must submit final grades to the Graduate Studies Office by the end of the term in which the course was given or by the beginning of the following term. Interim grades may not be assigned. Once a grade has been assigned, it cannot be changed.

An incomplete grade status (INC) submitted by an instructor may remain on a student's academic record for at most two terms of enrolment following the term in which the course was taken. A student may seek a one-term extension by submitting a petition to the course instructor and the Department prior to the end of the two terms. If a grade has not been submitted by the end of the second term and an extension has not been granted, the INC will automatically convert to a failure to complete (FTC). For average calculation, FTC value equals 0. An FTC status may be reverted to an INC on the academic record only if a petition from the student is approved by the Department, Faculty, and the Associate Provost, Graduate Studies. Such a petition is granted only in exceptional circumstances.

Transfer of academic credit

In graduate programs as defined in the Graduate Studies Academic Calendar General admission section, the maximum number of transferable credits shall be as follows:

  • For the course-work Master's: one-half of the course credits required for the degree, excluding credits awarded for the project.
  • For the thesis Master's: one-half of the course credits stipulated in an individual's program, excluding credits awarded for the thesis.
  • For the PhD: the acceptance of transfer credits from prior registration at another university will be determined in individual cases by the Associate Dean (Graduate Studies) of the Faculty at the time of admission to the program.

Transfer credits must be "unused" credits, i.e., they must not have been credited towards an earlier acquired degree or other academic credential. Transfer credits must be specified in writing at the time of departmental recommendation for admission. A minimum of 70% (University of Waterloo converted grade) is required for transfer credit.

Taking courses at other Ontario universities

The Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Plan (OVGS) allows a graduate student of an Ontario university (Home University) to take graduate courses at another Ontario University (Host University) while remaining enrolled at his/her own university. The plan allows the student to bypass the usual application for admission procedures and resultant transfer of credit difficulties. The student enrols and pays fees to his/her Home University and is classed as an "Ontario Visiting Graduate Student" at the Host University where he/she pays no fees.

OVGS Courses - University of Waterloo Students

The course(s) selected must be at the graduate level and there must be no comparable course(s) offered at the University of Waterloo. The course(s) selected must be required for the student's degree program. Such courses may not be "extra" or "audit" courses for the student.

OVGS Admission

The student completes an Ontario Visiting Graduate Student form which she/he must obtain from the graduate office of his/her Home University. On this form she/he must indicate the course(s) to be taken and the term during which the course is offered at the Host University. Admission is not complete until the form has been approved (signed) by the Department Chair and Graduate Dean of both the Home University and Host University.

The student is subject to any regulations of his/her Home University with respect to the maximum number of courses which may be taken at another Ontario university. At the University of Waterloo there is a two course maximum.