This is a free two-hour assessment. See below for dates, times and registration.
Do you have osteoarthritis, low bone mineral density or osteoporosis?
Participate in an interactive event with kinesiology students at the University of Waterloo!
Sign up for a two-hour one-on-one session with a kinesiologist in training, where they will assess your physical function, strength, posture, and balance, and teach you some new strength and balance exercises. You will go home with your results and a booklet on exercise from Osteoporosis Canada. If you have attended in the past, we can progress your exercises or teach you new ones. This event does not replace consultation with a health care provider or certified exercise professional. It is an opportunity for our kinesiology students to practice their skills.
7 session times will be offered at the Centre for Community, Clinical and Applied Research Excellence (CCCARE), in the Toby Jenkins Applied Health Research Building, 340 Hagey Boulevard, North Campus, University of Waterloo. Registration is limited to 8 participants per session. Parking will be free for participants.
Register for one of the following session times:
March 16, 2018
- 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
March 23, 2018
- 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
March 24, 2018
- 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 p.m.
- 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
During the session, you will participate in:
- Medical history and physical activity questionnaire
- Resting heart rate, blood pressure, height, weight, waist circumference
- Grip Strength, Five times sit-to-stand test, walking speed tests, balance tests, stair climb test
- Posture check, range of motion and tips on alignment
- Action planning with Canada’s Physical Activity Guidelines
- Learn how to do some or all of the following with good form, tailored to ability: Squat (sit-to-stand, body weight squat, one-legged squat), Push-up (wall, counter or on floor), Bow and arrow pull with theraband or lat pull down, step-up, lunge, Calf raise, Back extension exercise for posture, and planks or side planks.
You can choose to opt out of any of the above. You will receive a booklet with your results, and information to help you understand what they mean.
Participants must complete a consent form (.pdf) , get active questionnaire (GAQ) (.pdf) prior to attending. The forms may be accessed with the previous links to the PDF documents. Alternatively, you may contact us for more information.
If you answer YES to any of the GAQ questions or have a medical condition that might influence your ability to participate in exercise, you should consult your physician prior to attending the event.
To register, or have questions, please contact:
(519) 888-4567, ext. 38779
This event is a partnership between the Department of Kinesiology at the University of Waterloo, the Centre for Bone Health, Osteoporosis Canada and the A.R. Kaufman YMCA.