Department of Knowledge Integration
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 40859
Office: Environment 1 (EV1), room 212
- PhD Communication and Culture, Ryerson and York Universities, 2015
- MA Canadian and Native Studies, Trent University, 2007
- BA Anthropology, McGill University, 2000
Grants and awards:
- 2021 Ecological Society of America, Science Communication in Practice Award, Future Cities
- 2021 International Research Experiences for Students (IRES). ($300,000) “Nature-Based Solutions for Urban Resilience in Latin America” Principal Investigator: Berbés M. Co-Principal Investigators: Grimm N, Feagan M, Cook E, and Muñoz-Erickson T.
- 2020 Cartwright Award of Excellence, Cartwright School District No.83
- 2019 Early Career Symposium. ($18,400), Urban Resilience to Extremes Sustainability Research Network Award. “Cultivating the Next Generation of SETS Leaders for Urban Resilience: Equitable and Multifunctional Green Infrastructure Implementation for the New Climate Normal.” Principal Investigator: Marissa Matsler; Co-Investigators: Elser S, Feagan M, Helmrich A, Markolf S, McPhillips L, and Smith M.
- 2017 Smart & Connected Communities Planning Grant. ($99,867), National Science Foundation, USA. “Building resilient coastal cities through smart and connected communities.” Co-Principal Investigators: Grimm NB, Feagan M, Muñoz-Erickson T, Troxler T, and Welty C. Our work builds transdisciplinary capacity across data managers, natural and social scientists and local experts to build resilience through knowledge system interventions in coastal cities.
- 2015 International Workshop Award ($11,500), Antipode Foundation, UK. Feagan M, Otalvaro GJ, Polo P, Berbes-Blazquez M, Kukoc I. Our work explores the political ecology of knowledge across Canadian and Latin American geographies of capital, with a view toward international solidarity on issues of health and environment related to extractive industries.
- 2015 EkoSanté Collaboration Post-Doctoral Fellowship ($10,000) International Development Research Centre, Canada. This award supported postdoctoral research at the University of Toronto’s Department of Leadership, Higher and Adult Education, exploring changes in policy and practice on issues of environment and health across the Americas.
Social theory, Indigenous ways of knowing, Emancipatory pedagogies, Ecological consciousness
Current research grants:
- Co-principal investigator on National Science Foundation RULA IRES Nature-Based Solutions Research in Urban Latin America: International Research Experience for Students ($300,000 USD)
- 2021 Brisbois B, Feagan M, Stime B, Kukoc I, Berbés M, Gaibor J, Cole D, Hanson L, Larson C, Janes C, Plamondon K, Di Ruggiero E, Spiegel J, and Yassi A. “Mining, colonial legacies and neoliberalism: A political ecology of health knowledge” in New Solutions: A Journal of Environmental and Occupational Health Policy.
- 2019 Feagan M, Matsler M, Meerow S, Muñoz-Erickson T, Hobbins R, Gim C, and Miller C. “Redesigning Knowledge Systems for Urban Resilience” in Environmental Science & Policy,Introduction to the Special Issue.
- 2019 Wijsman K and Feagan M. “Rethinking Knowledge Systems for Urban Resilience: Feminist and Decolonial Contributions to Just Transformations” in Environmental Science & Policy 98 (2019) 70–76.
- 2018 Feagan M. “Ethical Evaluation and Action Research: Toward New North-South Research Collaborations?” in Canadian Journal of Bioethics, 1(1):34-36.
- 2018 Feagan M. “Fostering the Next Generation of Sustainability Leadership: Graduate Student Experiences with Ecohealth Communities of Practice” in International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education.
- 2018 Cole DC, Parkes MW, Saint-Charles J, Gislason M, McKellar K, Webb J, and the members of the Canadian Community of Practice in Ecosystem Approaches to Health […Feagan M…]. “Evolution of capacity strengthening: insights from the Canadian Community of Practice in Ecosystem Approaches to Health” in Transformative Dialogues: Teaching and Learning Journal, Volume 11, Issue 2, August 2018.
- 2014 Feagan M, Koné B, Brou N, Houenou YA, Kouassi E and Spiegel J. “Réflexion critique des approches écosystémiques de la santé sur la base des expériences des jeunes chercheurs au Canada, en Afrique Occidentale et Centrale et en Amérique Centrale,” in Vertigo (Hors-série 19).
- 2014 Berbés-Blázquez M, Feagan M, Waltner-Toews D, Parkes MW. “The need for heuristics in ecohealth research,” in EcoHealth Vol 11(3), pp. 290-291.
- 2011 Koné B, Feagan M, Houenou YA, Brou N, Houenou PV, Fayomi B, Ngnikam E, Cissé G, Spiegel J, et Kouassi E. “Facilitating the Relationship Between Researchers and Policy-Makers: Experiences from Three Ecohealth Projects in West and Central Africa,” in EcoHealth (8), pp. 413-417.
- INTEG 375: Special Topics in Knowledge Integration: Action Research and Student-Produced Knowledge
- GEOG 475: Special Topics in Geography: Climate Justice