Special access allows you provide alternative content or time limits to individual users or groups of users for requests such as AccessAbility accommodation requirements.
For example, you can use special access to accommodate individuals who need additional time writing a quiz because of a physical or learning disability or you can use special access to set up a restricted dropbox folder for individuals who missed an assignment.
The following tools allow time-restrictions to be set on content and, therefore, use special access to allow alternative time limits:
There are two types of special access:
- Restrict access to a quiz, survey or dropbox folder to specific users
- Assign an alternative time restrictions on a quiz, survey or dropbox folder for specific users
- Instructions below are achieved by accessing the Restrictions tab from within the tool
Use the Special Access feature to override the availability and timing settings of a quiz for specific users. Special access is set up in the Restrictions tab of a quiz.
- Click on the Submit link in the navbar and choose Quizzes.
- Click the title of the quiz you would like to set Special Access up for.
- Click on the Restrictions tab.
Select how you would like to set up Advanced Availability (“Allow selected user special access” or “Allow only users with special access”). Click the Add Users to Special Access button to add special access permissions.
- Check the boxes beside any of the special access types, and fill in the appropriate fields. Special access can include a unique start and/or end date, time limit, grace period, and submission requirements. For example, if you want to provide an extended grace period to users that have special access, check Assign special grace period and fill in the applicable time limit (in minutes) in the Grace Period text box.
- Check the boxes beside the users you want to assign special access to. In addition to individual users, you can view users by group or section, depending on how you wish to grant special access.
- Click Add Special Access.
- Save or Save and Close the quiz.
- To provide access to a quiz after the original time specified (e.g., students taking the quiz late) to an individual or individuals use the Allow only users with special access option... from the Restrictions tab once the date and time has been updated using the method above.
Use the Special Access feature to override the availability settings of a survey for specific individuals, or to restrict a survey only to identified users.
The steps to override the availability settings are the same as for a quiz (see above).
If you want to limit access to prevent other users from accessing the survey, select Allow only users with special access to see this survey.
Note: You cannot have an anonymous survey when using release conditions.
Special access permissions allow you to set different availability dates and times for specific users. For example, you could extend the deadline for users who require remedial help or who are submitting work beyond the original scope of the assignment. You can also add special access after a folder’s end date has passed for users who have a legitimate excuse for missing the deadline or for users you want to submit additional material, such as planning notes or a bibliography.
- Go to the Assessments link in the navbar and select Dropbox. Click the down arrow to the right of the dropbox title and choose edit. Click the Restrictions tab. Or, if you are building the Dropbox from scratch, simply click on the Restrictions tab.
- On the Restrictions tab, select either:
- Allow users with special access to submit assignments outside the normal availability dates for this folder, or
- Only allow users with special access to see this folder
- Click the Add Users to Special Access button.
- Select the Date Availability you want for the special access users.
- Check the boxes beside the appropriate users’ names in the grid.
- Click Save.
- Click Save, Save and Close or Save and New to save the dropbox.
Once you have added special access permissions for users they are listed in the Special Access section. You can edit or delete users’ special access by clicking the Edit or Delete icons beside their names.