The Attendance tool can track the presence and participation of students at class events such as lectures and in-class discussions. An absenteeism rate can be set to alert instructors to students whose participation is lacking or who might be at risk. The tool can be made visible to students who can use this to monitor and review their attendance and performance over the course of the term.
- Activating the Attendance Tool
- Attendance Tool Terminology
- Creating Attendance Schemes
- Creating Attendance Registers
- Using the Attendance Register
- Exporting Attendance Data
- Adding Attendance Grades to the Gradebook
By default, the Attendance tool is not activated. To activate the tool:
- Select the Course Admin from the navbar.
- Select Tools.
- Check the box to the right of the Attendance tool.
- Click on Course Home from the navbar to refresh the course.
- Attendance can be found under Resources on the navbar.
The Attendance tool is comprised of two features, the Attendance Scheme and the Attendance Register. These elements work together to provide instructors with a customized method for tracking attendance and participation.
Attendance Scheme: designates the criteria for marking student attendance in registers. Default schemes are available or custom schemes can be created. Each Attendance Register is assigned an Attendance Scheme that defines the attendance statuses for each session, (e.g., present, absent, late, excused). Schemes can be simple, or more complex depending on the needs of the instructor. This provides flexibility to accommodate a wide range of attendance options.
Attendance Register: displays and tracks attendance at various course events. Registers are created to define the attendance events, (e.g., lectures, presentations), define the attendees (e.g., students) create expectations, and outline the percentage of the overall score each attendance event is worth.
Attendance schemes should be created prior to constructing the attendance register. The scheme sets the parameters for the register and can be reused for different classes over multiple semesters.
The default System Scheme contains two options, Present and Absent (respectively, 100% and 0%). To create a new scheme, first make a copy of the existing scheme:
- Select the Attendance Scheme option at the top of the screen.
- From the drop down arrow beside the second System Scheme select Copy.
- Click on Copy of System Scheme under Course Schemes to begin the tailoring process.
- Change the Name of the scheme to reflect its role in the course.
- Fill in the number of additional Statuses to include.
- Click the Add Statuses option.
- Assign a Symbol, Full Name and Percent Value for each additional status.
- Save the Scheme and then select Close.
Registers can be created for overall attendance for a course or a specific course event. Schemes are associated with registers to provide the appropriate status options. Whether an attendance register is made available to students for viewing is optional and can be easily toggled on and off.
- Select Attendance Registers option from the top of the screen.
- Select the New Register button.
- Provide a Name for the Register.
- Select the desired Attendance Scheme from the drop down menu.
- Enter a Cause for Concern percentage, if using.
- Decide whether the register should be visible to the students.
- Select All users in the course or include All users in the following groups or sections.
- Fill in the dates, week numbers etc.
- Add the number of additional sessions.
Note: you must save the page before adding new sessions.
- Click Add Sessions.
- Select Save and then Close.
Attendance Registers are automatically updated upon saving and, if made available to students, will be immediately visible.
- Select Attendance from Resources on the navbar.
- Select Attendance Registers.
- Click on the name of the register to be used.
- Sessions are listed on the top of the grid and can be accessed by selecting the pencil icon to the right of the session title.
Note: clicking on the column titles will alter the display in descending or ascending order.
Note: To apply a particular status to multiple attendees, select the check box to the left of each name and click the Set Status option in the bottom left hand corner of the grid or, you can apply a single status to an entire class by using the Set Status for All Users button at the top of the Set Attendance Data window.
There isn't a direct association from the Attendance tool to the gradebook like there is with quizzes, dropboxes etc., however, the data can be exported and then uploaded into the gradebook.
To export the data:
- Select Attendance from the Assessments drop down menu.
- Select Attendance Registers option from the top Attendance tool menu.
- Select the Register containing the data to be exported.
- Click the Export All Data button.
- Upon download, either save or open the resulting csv in Excel.
- The second last column of the csv file will contain the % Attendance.
- If the intention is to upload the grades into the gradebook, keep the Username, Org Defined ID, % Attendance and End-of-Line Indicator columns and re-save.
The grade item should be created in the gradebook first. It is recommended that the raw score be out of 100 and the weight determines the overall value. For example, a participation grade worth 5% of the overall grade would have a Max Points of 100 and a weight of 5.
- Select the Grades link from the course navbar.
- Select Enter Grades.
- Select Export.
- From the list of grade items, select the grade item to be populated with the attendance marks and click Export to csv.
- Grab the column title for the grade item (for the example above: Participation Points Grade <Numeric MaxPoints:100 Weight:5>) from this newly generated csv file.
- Open the Attendance csv file from the previous export and replace the %Attendance column title with this new title from the gradebook export.
- Save the Attendance csv file.
- Return to the Enter Grades area of the Grades.
- Import the Attendance csv file containing the new column title.
See Grades for more information about the gradebook.