Navigational bars, or navbars, are used to navigate between the system and course homepages, within a course, and to access specific tools.
The Minibar is the navbar that runs along the very top of your Waterloo LEARN page. This navbar is controlled at the system level and cannot be adjusted by a user. Items available from the minibar include, access to the system homepage, the ability to search for courses without returning to the system homepage, notifications and other personal account settings.
The System navbar is the list of links that are just below the minibar. The list of items included in this navbar are system level tools and resources that are accessible from the system homepage.
The Course navbar is the list of items included in the screenshot below. The list of tools that will be available from the drop down menus below will be determined by the tools that are active in the course you are looking at. This is the student view of the course level navbar.
This is the Instructor view of the course level navbar, including links to Reports and Course Admin.
The Connect menu will provide access to tools in the course including Classlist, Discussions and Groups.
The Submit menu will provide access to tools in the course including Dropboxes, Quizzes and Surveys.
The Resources menu will provide access to tools in the course including Attendance and Rubrics.
Most tools within a course can be disabled in the course thereby removing the tool name from all course navigation.
Customizing Your Navbar
As you are developing your course, you will need to make decisions about which LEARN tools (e.g. quizzes, dropboxes, surveys, etc.) you will be using.
Important questions you will need to answer to make these decisions are:
▪ What activities are your students expected to do online?
▪ What types of interactions with the course material, one another, and you, will be expected of the students?
The Navigation bar (navbar) at the course level in LEARN provides links to many of the tools you will use.
To maintain some consistency, we have developed a default course navbar that has the most common tools displayed and has all the available links in a set relative location.
Instructors are able to "turn off" these tools if they are not being used and "turn on" others that are off by default. Note: not all tools will appear on the navbar when on.
To view the available tools and to edit the navbar:
- Enter your course
- Click Course Admin on the right hand side of the course navbar
- Click Tools
- Inactive tools are marked by an X and Active tools are denoted by a check mark in this view.
- To activate a tool that you wish to use, select the check box to the right of the tool name. This will trigger an automatic save of the page. The tool may take up to 10 minutes before it appears on the course navbar.
- To make a tool inactive that is currently displayed in the navbar, select the check box to the right of the tool name. This will trigger an automatic save of the page.
Note: Below is a screenshot of the Custom Navbar Name column on the tools page. This feature does not work and will not allow you to save a customized name for a tool.