The University of Waterloo Library is thrilled to welcome you! Working closely with the University and following public health advice, we are reintroducing limited onsite library services to the University of Waterloo community.
While COVID-19 persists, the Library is focused on expanding digital resources and virtual services so that you will have the expertise and resources you need at your fingertips. At each phase, the safety of our staff and our users is our top priority.
For the most up-to-date information, check out Library News.
Wherever your ideas may lead you, you can still depend on us to be your partner in research, learning and innovation. If you have questions about access to the Library, feel free to email me at email@example.com.
Beth Namachchivaya, University Librarian
On this page:
- Access to library spaces
- Online services
- In-person services
- Online collections
- Services for faculty members and instructors
- Services for students
- Dana Porter, Davis Centre, and Musagetes libraries are closed; reach us virtually using Ask us.
- Witer Learning Resource Centre is closed; email reference is available.
- Pharmacy Learning Resource Centre is closed; online reference help is available through the Pharmacy research guide.
- St. Jerome's University Library is closed; email reference is available.
- Renison Lusi Wong Library is closed; virtual reference is available.
- Conrad Grebel Milton Good Library is providing remote and limited onsite services.
- Special Collections & Archives (SCA) is closed; contact SCA staff for online reference help.
- Virtual reference hours: January 11 – April 4, 2021
- Chat with us: Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; weekend 12 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Email us: monitored Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.; weekend 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- All research and instruction questions and consultations are virtual; reach us virtually using Ask us or contact your librarian.
- Course Reserves is online only.
- Research guides offer course and research support.
- Online Learning Object Repository includes materials created by the University of Waterloo Library Instructional Design Team.
- HathiTrust Digital Library has made over 830,000 in-copyright items from the Library's print collection available online for all Waterloo students, faculty, and staff. For more information visit our ETAS information page.
- Interlibrary loans are now possible for print materials from the collections of Wilfrid Laurier University and University of Guelph, including locations located at the TriUniversity Group Annex. All other interlibrary loans are currently available for e-delivery only. E-delivery includes:
- scanned portions of print items, up to amounts allowed by copyright guidelines,
- portions of an ebook that are owned by another library, up to the amount allowable by their license, and
- articles that are in online journals owned by other libraries, where their license allows for interlibrary loans.
- Drop-in services from our partners are being offered virtually.
- We have suspended access and circulation to all print resources, including print course reserves and archival materials.
- The University's faculty, postdoctoral fellows, students, and staff who require access to materials in the print collections of Dana Porter Library; Davis Centre Library; Witer Learning Resource Centre; Musagetes Architecture Library and Milton Good Library, Conrad Grebel, as well as from the collections of Wilfrid Laurier University and University of Guelph may use the following services by first locating their item in Omni, the Library's catalogue:
- Book Pickup @ Porter: This service will no longer require a scheduled pickup time. Patrons who have received their notice of availability from the Library will be able to visit the Dana Porter Library anytime from 10 a.m. until noon, Monday to Friday. Masks must be worn when entering the Library, and other safety protocols will be observed.
- Book Pickup @ Musagetes Architecture Library: This service now includes the ability for any of the University's faculty, students, and postdoctoral fellows to pick up materials from the School of Architecture in Cambridge, Ontario. Materials can be requested from any of the Porter, Davis, Witer (Optometry), Milton Good (Conrad Grebel) or Musagetes Libraries. Masks must be worn when entering the Library, and other safety protocols will be observed.
- Book Pickup @ Milton Good, Conrad Grebel.
- Books by Mail: Requested items will be mailed out to any address within Canada or campus office location, if working on campus has been approved. Prepaid return shipping labels will be provided for off-campus addresses.
- Library materials can be returned; various options are available. Please see Returning library materials for more information.
- Access to digital collections via Omni, our catalogue, Research databases, UWSpace, and Waterloo Digital Library
- Temporary access to online collections
- Vendors and publishers open up electronic resources in light of COVID-19: View the dynamic list of offerings provided by information service providers (maintained by the International Coalition of Library Consortia (ICOLC), university intellectual property officers)
- Open Educational Resources catalogue for freely available teaching materials, sorted by content type and faculty
- Purchase request forms for ebooks for use as ereserves, etc.
- Course Reserves:
- For winter 2021 courses: Course reserves will continue to be electronic only. Requests for the winter term are now being accepted. We ensure that posted material is copyright compliant and accessible. Requests will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis. For material that requires copyright clearance, several weeks may be needed to obtain permission or licensing. Questions about course reserves can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reach out to your librarian to find or identify digital resources for your courses
- Copyright resources and services for online-teaching related FAQs, online workshops and consultations